Sent my bass to the car shop...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lesgo, May 7, 2017.

1. Lesgo

Lesgo Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2016
    After scoring a great natural ash vintage jazz body, my 3-piece alder P bass finished in tru oil suddenly lost some appeal. A friend works at an auto paint shop and agreed to spray it with whatever was loaded in the gun. Luckily, they were working with Chevrolet Black at the time. He did a great job.

While it was in the shop, I picked up an Allparts MIJ jazz neck. I applied approximately 30 coats of tru oil to the neck. Knocked down the finish with 0000 steel wool, and it feels fast and smooth.

Installed some EMG Geezers and USA Hipshot ultralites. I was fully expecting to bring this thing to a pro for setup, but the neck is perfectly straight, bass is intonated, and the solderless pickups sound great. I feel like I got lucky.

Excited to put her through her paces at rehearsal this week. IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Cool for you, and it does look nice. I cringed when I read this, though, as this happened to my '73 P bass. The guy I got it from was bored with it's original "natural" finish and took it to a local friend's auto body for a refinish in black! He did this and other abuses to it before I rescued it, including drilling new holes just to accomodate an aftermarket cheap pick guard. Never posted this original pic of it before…

DSC01111.JPG

Spidey2112, Lvjoebass and Lesgo like this.
  3. Lesgo

Lesgo Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2016

Yikes! No, this was a new, unfinished body that I bought last summer. Makes me sad to think of what yours looked like before it got sprayed. Glad she's in better hands now.

Ghastly likes this.
  4. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    That's a nice, classy looking bass! Great job. I love these projects.

Lesgo likes this.
  5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Lookin' Good

Lesgo likes this.
  6. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Well done! Automotive finish guys usually have the know how to bring a paint finish to that next level. Enjoy!

Lesgo likes this.
  7. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I prefer automotive painters bc you can get a cash deal on a side job easily.

The guy next to my buddy's transmission shop did an E-type Jag, a real 60's Testarossa, a bunch of MG's, some gen 2 vettes, the 1 of 2 supercharged racing Mercedes from the 30's, a pile of prewar Alfas, etc last week. It's kinda funny when the overflow ends up parked on the street bc the MGs stay in the yard covered. Owners are paying for it. Apparently Jags and Ferraris don't rate white glove treatment bc their owners aren't worth a 8-unit residential building in central London as their Euro getaway investment.

He can prep and properly spray a bass but you have to get him after Bloomington, Pebble Beach, or the auctions in AZ/Texas.

I look for the guys that are always busy, and have $10mil+ in cars done while they're doing another batch in the booths.

Lesgo likes this.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    My '68 Precision had been painted in black by an auto repair shop (complete with gray Bondo underneath the paint!). It took me at least 6 applications of paint stripper to get all that gunk off there. It's now Daphne Blue (and turning slightly green due to the nitro).

Lesgo and Ghastly like this.
  9. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    Cool! Now take your car to a bass shop and report back with results ;)

tubatodd, Lesgo and NigelD like this.
  10. Lesgo

Lesgo Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2016
    It's the way to go. Only down side is I like a naturally occurring light relic on my basses. This will take years to accomplish.

11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    ... and they can install a sweet set of curb feelers for you too!

Lesgo and Son of Wobble like this.
  12. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    That's tire and brake shops. Thankful that era is over.

Ask for a super thin finish that settles. Then you can call the $2k+ boutique Fender clone assembler and hear BS about "wood breathing" and thick finishes stifling tone.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  13. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I love the metal plate for the controls. It's one of the few changes I wish Fender would make to the line: Mate the existing plastic guard with a chrome control plate. The Autolux bass player has a Precision like that and it looks so nice.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021