Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sent the Carvin back today and i am going to get a Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jul 25, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am really tired of trying to find a good solid five string, I first tried an fbb but the thing had the frets popping out and the wood start to warp, then got a carvin great finish but the sound was so empty. It came to me as i was laying in bed stop playing the games and just go for the Sadowsky. I am going to go in and see Roger next friday about ordering a Sadowsky Tokyo RJ5. I am very hopefull this will be the one. Build time on this one i think is around 3 months.

2. I would have saved a ton of cash by starting with a Sadowsky instead of working my way up to one!

Hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    there are a couple of beautiful used rj5's around.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Sometimes we have to figure out what we want the hard way.

At least the Carvin experience only cost him shipping both ways.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I was happy with my Carvin LB70, but when I decided to move to a fiver, I figgered it would be smarter to shoot for the top of the heap instead of spending more dough on mid-range stuff. If I didn't, I knew I'd always wonder, "what if." Best bass-playing decision I ever made. Even if Sadowsky doesn't float your boat, if you're committed to the instrument and you can afford it, it's far cheaper in the long run to buy the high-end instrument you will eventually end up with anyway. Good luck!

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Don't test drive a BMW if you want to be satisfied with your Chevy. However, if you don't get the BMW, 200k miles later you will have bought a couple or three Chevys. Buy the BMW, save in the long run and enjoy the ride now.

Translation:

Don't play a Sad in the store if you want to be satisfied with your Mexican Fender. However, if you don't get the Sad, two years later you will have bought a couple or three Mexican Fender-like basses. Buy the Sad, save in the long run and enjoy the great sound and feel now.:meh:

7. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

What's cool about the Sadowsky is that you'll be done looking for the ultimate Fender vibe bass! Now you can concentrate on playing, gigging, and having fun. No more G.A.S.!!

Rob

9. Ditto what Rob said.

I have my Sadowsky basses--JJ and PJ--and I love 'em. Especially the J bass. It's soooo wonderful in EVERY respect.

10. MAJOR METAL

The bass i am looking at is priced at $2475 with case, I think i will be going for the natural finish with perliod pick gard but the Black finish is still in the running.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Kevin, can you try it out first? Or have you played some Sads? If there's any way you can try your next bass before you buy it, I'd heartily recommend that route. You've probably come to that conclusion already though, huh?

Hope this next one is the charm!

12. From first post I assume you are local relative to Sadowsky in NY. The 'play room' is great. Also, he has a 7 day trial period.

13. MAJOR METAL

Mark any sightings of the Warwick infinity ltd 2000.
    Yeah i will be playing this one, i went to sadowsky a year ago and i will be going back on friday to try the tokyo basses. When it has come to five string i have not had luck buying sight unseen.My Jack bass i got from boogie bass was a bass i never played and it worked but i think when you get into this ball park you really demand alot more for the amount you pay. Dont get me wrong the carvin was nice great craftsmanship but for a price tag of $1200 and a resale for considreably lower plus if i was going to keep it i need to change the electronics, they were just to empty for me.

14. MAJOR METAL

I have played a good number of sadowskys and they fit like a glove.

15. MAJOR METAL

bump

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Excellent choice if you want the Fender vibe. Solid bass in every way.

17. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Great basses. How does the tone sound compared to Lakland (american series)?

18. I agree that you should just get a good bass and be done with it. I've been playing for under a year and I'm on my 6th and final bass.

I started with an Ibanez GSR 200, GSR 485, MIM P Bass, Ibanez BTB Q405, and an MM STingray.

I kept bringing them all back because I didn't like certain things about them (the store was really good about returns) until I picked up my MIA Fender J Deluxe. I looks great, plays great, and sounds amazing. I kept it and I don't think I'll be selling it for years to come. Sure, it cost me $1800 Canadian but I'm very happy with it.

19. MAJOR METAL

I went to Sadowsky today and played their black rj5, great bass i i liked the feel of the neck very much and the preamap i thoght was much warmer then the usa version.I think the B string on this bass was a littel weak but i think it could be worked with. I am going to get one but their is a suprise bass in the cards right now that i have to take the oppertunity and get. Good over all bass lives up to the name on the headstock.

20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Buy my used RJ5! It's practically brand new.