Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sentimental Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomd03, Oct 23, 2004.

1. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Hey, do you guys have any basses that you've had so long/been through so much with, they have a huge sentimental value to you? If so, what's the bass and what causes this feeling for you?

For me, it'd have to be my Curbow, my very first bass.... I've had it through school, and now I still use it on my gigs. I would never sell this bass, the fact that i got it in grade 6 and it's what i learned on, gigged on, pounded on (slap/pop, not abusivly) and generally praised, makes it worth so much to me :)

anyways, less rambling, and more to the point: We all have one of these basses/stories, lets hear em :)

:bassist:

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    My Aria. It was my first bass. For A long time I hated it, then got it setup, and put washers on the head, and a dancing bear Gratefuld Dead sticker on it (and a few others), Then tried sanding down the big chunk that fell off when I dropped it and scratched the finish (headstock and body) and I snaded 1 spot on the back of the neck to it feels weird now...Just today when I was raking the leaves I found a branch that had VERY pink wood, so I made a thumbrest out of it... but it like un-pinked... Oh well it's superglued between my pickups now. I got tuners on order and I'll be gettign pups and a bridge for Xmas. I just feel attached to this bass. It's not great by any means but It plays well and it's mine! I imagine it's how Billy or Jaco felt. I want to get some pics of it tomorrow. Oh I could also invest in a new nut, the filing job on this one is pretty horrible.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My Ric.. My first dream bass that I got. I also love my Warwick, because I learned so much on it.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Aye, that would be this lad, here ...
    [​IMG]
    Though I wasn't playing it at the time, this bass was included in the wildest road trip of all time! It was my cut when the band was disbanded (by law).

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    my Ibanez SR500. She was my first, and had her for over 7 years before I got my Pedulla Thunderbass T5. Dont foresee myself ever getting rid of her. After I put in EMG P/J's she sounds fantastic, before the mod she wasn't too impressive actually.

6. Heh. My '80s PRS five string and I go back a long way, and I'll never part with her, mostly because I'll never find another and I've never put a better tone on tape than with that bass. I don't play it much now because, after 1,000 gigs and two recording sessions in the six years since I got her, she needs a major overhaul.
    Of course, there's a story to go with that--I'd have to be a moron to sell it after all the trouble I went through to get it.
    I was writing for my college paper and got sent down to NYC to cover the Pot Parade, which was held the first Saturday in May. It was basically a bunch of armchair radicals taking over a prearranged march route and smoking weed in full view of the cops to try and get the stuff legalized, and maybe get arrested in the process. :eyebrow:
    I had seen an ad online a few days earlier posted by a guy in Manhattan selling a PRS for $600, so I said what the hell and took the assignment--three hours on a chartered school bus with 14 hippies never killed anybody, right?
    So I tag along with the rally and about noon take off to meet the bass' owner at his rehearsal studio, taking in my first experience on the subway system in the process, and get to this building with guards, the whole nine...he leads me into an office with an amp to try out the PRS, and there's like seven Foderas on the wall--I didn't even dare to look at them--and the bass was nice so I whipped out my credit card.
    He has no way to take it, so after wandering around downtown for an hour trying to get a cash advance from an ATM we go back to the studio and I buy him $480 in rehearsal time in exchange for his bass.
    After taking the subway to Battery Park with my awesome new bass out of the case in my lap--big time fun for those who ever tried it, and not a particularly bright idea--I come dashing out of the subway to find...nobody.
    My hippies were gone. Everybody was gone. The bus back to New Paltz, 70 miles away, had left without me. I had about $3.
    A few frantic calls to my then-girlfriend later, I found myself panhandling in front of Grand Central Station. The first people I tried to bum from were these two Wall Street types in suits; one of them gave me a quarter. Thanks, whoever you are. It was five minutes until the last train left.
    A fortysomething British couple came along next; the husband (I guess) heard the first few words of my sob story and pulled out a wad of bills with a "yeah, OK, impress me" look on his face.
    I guess I did, because he gave me more than enough for my ticket. I'm still surprised a security guard didn't shoot me as I ran for that train...paid for my ticket onboard and I was gone.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My old '90 BC Rich Innovator 4 stringer and I will never part. It was my first bass. The same one I played through many stages of my life. Girlfriends, jobs, and bands have come and gone but my old BC remains. It has been my main live and recording bass up until July of this year. It's going through a major overhaul at the moment. Hopefully it will be done in about a month and it will be my main bass once again.

Here is a pic...

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    1- 1966-jazz bass- sunburst- bass has 1956-percision neck.
    maple fingerboard tele-style headstock.
    My first jazz, the maple neck give this bass a killer sound.
    Was my main fretted bass for 10-years. now she stays at
    home.
    2- 1970- fretless- Percision- Dakoda Red- rosewood finger-
    board.
    I love the sound of a fretless P-bass.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    My Washburn Rudy Sarzo Prototype.

10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Hamer Jazz bass. It was my second bass. I didn't keep my first one because if sucked really bad. It was a Samick p-bass copy, and it was stunting my growth as a bassist because the neck really sucked.

The Hamer sounds like $#*!, but it shall never leave me.

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I have an Ibanez SR400 since 1998 that was my main bass for 5 years until I bought my ATK305.

I love my SR400 because all the gigs I played with it, and all the songs I wrote with it, but since I´m playing the ATK I realised that its sound isn´t good enough, and because I have big hands, its thin neck feel really small to me now.

Now I´m thinking about seeling it to buy a good 4-stringer, but this turn out to be a harder decision that I thought it would be.... because all the GREAT memories I have playing this bass.:crying:

I wish I could keep her and buy a new bass, but selling this bass seems to be the only way I can get enough money to buy a good 4-stringer :( .

12. my Ibanez ATK...it was my first decent bass and the first i used on gigs....i kinda regret selling it...but i just play my new precious and the regret just fades away....id still like to get another atk somewhere down the track

13. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    [​IMG]

My late 80's korean made presswood bodied Kramer 4 string. I've had it since I was 13. Technically my second bass, but I ruined the horrible Cort p-bass copy that was my actual first. That's long gone.

The kramer has been with me ever since. It has been dropped, knocked over, kicked, beat on, drawn on, had stickers on it, and it just kept right on going. It was my only axe until about 4 or 5 years ago when I started getting a bit more serious and got GAS :) I am now 28 years old. I had it fitted for some active EMG's awhile back which brought some life to it. Through my large rig, it sounds quite musical and has a midrange honk that is undeniable.

I think the part that has been it's saving grace all these years, is the small local shop I purchased it from, which has maintained it's lifetime setup guarantee all these years. The shop sticker still remains in perfect shape on the back of the headstock :)

I'll never part with this, and make the person bleed who tries to take it away from me. It was adorned with a paint marker logo of my nickname over 12 years ago, so it has been dubbed "The Troll Bass" for many years. I do use it live every now and then.

Troll

14. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    My first fretless is a warmoth ash body jazz with a maple neck with a maple board, originally fretted. I bought the pieces of my then bandmate's brother, who had been gigging and ordered it from Warmoth. He then carried the pieces around for a year or two back and forth to California, etc. Finally sold em to me for almost nothing, and I had it assembled with pj pickups (Duncan), a thin vint. style bridge, and tuners from a Peavey. I had a friend of a friend finish the body, thought he knew what he was doing, he didn't. But he did finish it in a couple of coats of Bowler's minwax, it's lumpy to this day. Although it has faded to a nice soft amber color. I had the frets pulled, neck epoxied by a local shop, and it was like the bass totally opened up. To this day, it's still my loudest bass acoustically, and it sounds great on tape. No finish on the back of the neck, so now, ten or so years later, it's smmmoooottthhhh. I'll never part with it...

15. My '79 Kramer DMZ-5000, bought in '82. We've had 22 years of gigging together. :bassist:

16. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Ric 4001. First "real" bass bought new when I was 16. Traded a few years later (for Hamer Blitz, yellow/black tiger stripe) when the "project" I was with thought the Ric too conservative in style.

By chance, twenty years later, I saw this SAME bass in a store. No doubt, verifiably the same instrument in remarkable condition (and at a premium price). I now have my old bass back in my posession.

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Cool bass and cool story Troll!

:bassist:

18. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    ...'78 Jazz with maple board and blocks..ash body....and...the ugliest Antigua I've ever seen on a Jazz..I used it on almost all the sessions from '79 on to early 90's..we used to call it the "Scurvy Bass". Sounded great...but even the pickguard had the ugly "fade to illness" blend of white to dull green that the body has. I do love it..and it will never be sold.

19. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan

This story i need to hear...

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I had a white P/J washburn Rudy Sarzo with all black hardware. Not the pointy thing, it was more trad lookin. Great Bass, should have never sold it. what kind is yours ?