Separate BG and DB teachers or a doubler?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 23, 2003.

1. I'm gonna be starting DB lessons this fall as soon as I have the scratch to buy one (this will require a job). I also want to start BG instruction back up as I feel that my development has plateaued.

Should I try to find a teacher who doubles, or should I get a dedicated DB teacher and a dedicated BG teacher? I want to become pretty good with arco, in particular, and I'm not sure if too many doublers are going to be hip to that. I was thinking of perhaps getting a classical instructor to start with and then a jazz instructor who doubles. Is this a viable option?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think so... while a doubler can excel at both types of instrument, they'll tend to be stronger on one and would be more qualified to teach that instrument. Your idea of starting classically and getting strong in arco, (which will do wonders for your intonation), then moving into a more specific area of interest as you improve sounds like a plan.

3. I would go to strength on each instrument.

I had two separate DB teachers for jazz (Michael Moore) and arco (Linda McKnight), although I also say that every arco lesson made me a better jazz player. Each teacher knew about the other and agreed with my concept.
  4. I have a doubler in jazz but i would agree that if you want to do classical you want a seperate teacher.
  5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah, sounds like you know yourself and what you want to learn pretty well.

In addition to your good two teacher approach, I would add only that it will be you who ultimately decides what you want to learn, and you should think about before each lesson, spend some time making lists of questions, and hard spots, and help your teachers focus on what is right for you.

This doesn't mean don't listen to what they suggest, but just keep them on track, have an agenda. I have seen great teachers give very different lessons when I either was or was not prepared.

I don't really see enough jazz players slaying the arco either, maybe an occasional P.C. devotee. What is wrong with us, that would be some real playing there, right?
  6. Well, the main reason that I want to get good with arco is for more textural, ECM-style stuff (Vitous, Weber, etc.) For that, you need flawless intonation and superior bow command.
  7. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Amen, how about those gateway recordings on ECM with Dave Holland.

Have you heard Renaud Garcia-Fons? check out his oriental bass- unbelievable arco.
  8. Homecoming and In the Moment are two of my favorite albums. There have been times when Homecoming, in particular, hasn't left my CD changer for a fortnight or longer.

I will have to check out Garcia-Fons. Any recommended recordings?
  9. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
  10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well u think a doubler is a stretch, i have a tripler. My teacher teaches me BG, DB, and trumpet. I have found he is very qualified on trumpet and BG, but he is a little lacking on arco when it comes to DB. Having a tripler does have benefits though. For one it is alot cheaper:) and our lessons seem to "cross-polinate" often we can apply something from a trumpet lesson do a bass lesson and vice versa, I also feel we can get deeper into theory since we can discuss multiple instruments.