Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Separate pre-amp and power-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GillesUnchained, Nov 4, 2005.

1. This is my first time on this forum. Please forgive me if this topic has been covered.

I need a new amp. The one I use now is not up to the job. Instead of just buying a new amp, I've been thinking of getting a separate pre-amp and power-amp. I don't see many players doing this, but it seems like a few players on this forum do.

So what do I need to consider when buying these two pieces of new equipment? I think I'm going to get an Ampeg SVT pre-amp, because I used to play and SVT-4 and I like the sound of it. But what should I know about power-amps?

Can I get a power-amp like ones normally used to run a PA and bridge it? Would it be better to buy one of these mono-block units I keep seeing that are made especially for bass? And why are they so expensive? Are they all-tube, and does it really benefit bass players to have all-tube power? What kind of wattage is needed to run 8x10 in this kind of rig? I like to play loud enough for the guitar players to ask me to turn down. Is there a good brand or model of power-amp that works well for bass?

Is there anything special I should know about hooking up this type of rig? And lastly (maybe it should be firstly), who recommends this type of setup and who recommends a traditional amp head?

Thanks for your help.

2. Mr. Pickle

Mr. Pickle

Aug 20, 2005
    im just going to say the qsc power amps are great. especially for the price.

3. Hi,
    If you're thinking of going all-tube, don't get anything lower than about 200w to 300w - to run the big ampeg 8x10's.

I'm going down the same route myself tho - just bought the SVP-CL - looking at poweramps too, I'm very tempted by the Crown XLS602A, but I haven't made up my mind.
    Rob, (8mmOverdose on the Ampeg forum) posted this review of the ampeg heads, including the pre-amps - and I have to admit, I agree with him on pretty much all of it.
    http://www.ampeg.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=828&highlight=

The SVT4 that you've already got would be a great poweramp already - if you're really after a different sound, use the new pre-amp thought the svt4 power section - thats 1200w @ 4ohms, enough to run two 8x10's if need be.

Good Luck,
    smo

4. I don't have the SVT-4 any more. I'm playing through a GK which is not loud enough and the tone is lacking. I don't think I will buy a tube power-amp, because they cost way too much.

Are there any other pre-amps that anyone could recommend trying?

5. I'd like to TRY to spend about $800 or $900, not including a rack case, power conditioner and such. I priced the Ampeg pre-amp at about $500 in MF and another catalog. I'd like to keep the power-amp at about $300 or $400, which seems to be pretty reasonable, from what I've seen online. I know I've seen a lot of PA power amps used at local music stores, which I would definitely consider. Especially if it would cut costs on that end.