Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Separates or Combi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Sep 27, 2004.

1. I wanna an amp, the one I am using is a little 15watt Ashdown.

I read the thread about speaker combinations and it looks like a 4X10 and a 1X15 as an extra.

Should I go for a combo or separates?

Or a 4X10 combi with a 1X15 speaker?

Please help

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it depends on what kind of money you have
    combos are ok but have some drawbacks. They tend not to have a lot of watts, which depending on the gig can be fine. My big problem with combos is that they dont offer room for expansion/upgrading at a later date. By buying a head and cabinets (or a cabinet) you can always replace one or the other later on with a different/better/more powerful/smaller/bigger model, without having to ditch the rest of your rig. With a combo you pretty much have to replace the whole thing and start from scratch. This become really annoying when you find that your rig just isn't loud enough to compete in whatever band you suddenly find yourself in.

In a perfect world i'd reccomend getting a head with at least 200 watts (preferably 400) @ 4 ohms. And one or two 8 ohm cabinets. The used market is tremendous right now, i think you should be able to get a reasonably decent head and cabinet for almost the same as you would spend on a new combo.

3. For example, if you bought a Yorkville XS400T (300watt 2x10 8ohm speaker combo) and needed more volume, then you could rent/buy/get a 8ohm 1x15 speaker cab and get the full 400 watts that that amp produces. More speakers = more watts = more volume.

So I'd have to disagree with IvanMike. Most/some combo amps do offer room for expansion/upgrading.

I just expanded my Peavey Microbass amp (20 watt 1x8 combo) by plugging it into my Yorkville 8ohm 1x15 speaker cab last night. It sounded huge out of that 15inch (the 8inch automatically disengages).

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    point taken
    combos aren't the evil scourge of the world
    there are a lot of good ones out there
    that being said, i used to own a head and 2x10 cabinet that was also available as a combo
    later on i decided i didnt like the cabinet as much as i liked the head and sold it
    if i owned the combo i woulda been outta luck

5. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a GK700RB and either one or two Avatar CB112s depending on the gig. The head is light and powerful and the cabs only weigh 45lbs each. I've played 15s, 10s and 12s and find that I like the 12s best.