Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Separating combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Oct 22, 2000.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    Would it be possible to separate a high powered combo's head and speaker. Ex. On a Carvin RB600 2x10, can you separate the head and just sell or get rid of the speakers and then be able to use the head as a stand alone head?

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    In some cases, yes. In other cases no. I know of some manufacturers that literally mount the head inside of a speaker cabinent. This is usually a rackmount head and examples that come to mind are some of the amps by Peavey and Gallien-Krueger. Removing the head from the cab could be as easy as disoconnecting the speakers and loosening a few screws. I know that some amps have the internal speaker wired to a plug that goes into the amp - if so, why not just disconnect that plug and using whatever external speakers that you desire? Sure, it would be a really bulky head to haul around, but you'd always have the option of going back to combo if you wanted. My advice would be to call Carvin and see if it's a rackmount head that's just been installed into a cabinent, though this is something that you could probably check yourself - which I reccommend doing first.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have the RC210 Combo, which has 2x10 plus tweeter with the R600 head mounted in it. I don't know if we are talking about the same unit, but it is very easy to remove the head. Just unscrew the 4 top screws, and out it slides. The R600 is a rackmount head, so I recommend putting it in a protective rack or buy Carvin's SV2 cabinet for it. (If your combo is a different one, then I'm not sure. I don't see "RB600" in the recent Carvin catalogs.)
    - Mike

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, many of the Hartke combos have regular rack-mount heads like the 3500 installed in the cabinet. You just unplug the speaker form the head, take out the four rack screws in front, and, voila, your head is free.

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I did the seperation on an Ampeg combo years ago. It had a hell or a rattle and the seperation fixed the problem. I put it back together when it was time to sell it.