1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Separating neck from body on a fullerton P-bass: bad idea $-wise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kittyboy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So I've got this '83 P-bass ('57 reissue), and I love the light body and sound, but I prefer to play jazz necks now so if I were to keep it I'd put a j-neck on it and sell the p-neck.

Do you think the bass is worth significantly less parted out like this, or is it not a big deal? What's the complete neck worth would you guess? It's in good but played condition...

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Keep the neck, and put a J neck on it. That way if you do sell it later, it is probably worth more (by how much, noboy can tell at this point) than with a non-original one.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The re-sale value will drop pretty dramatically with a neck swap like that. If you must swap to a J neck, keep the P neck in case of a future sale. Don't do anything to that bass you can't un-do 100%. If you really want a J-neck P, maybe sell the 57RI and get a Lakland Dunn.

4. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Both great suggestions...

I've got a nice dingwall p/j that's first call for fender-y stuff--and I don't really even _need_this one, if you know what I mean--plus I've got a super nice custom-color '82 '62J, but this P is so light...

One of the pots isn't stock too, which lowers value a bit...

Are these going for about $2K-2.5K these days?

Sunburst, playwear...