Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seperate Extended Range Sub Forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Lokire, Dec 14, 2005.

1. I looked back about a years worth of these suggestion threads and didn't see this one.

What are people's thoughts on a seperate sub-forum for the discussion of Extended Range basses (Say 7-strings on up - as well as Subcontra [F# and below] tunings)? Maybe piccolo basses could be included as well.

I dunno. Myself, though I'm not an ERB player, I love to read the threads and follow the discussions on Extended Range basses and bassists, but I think that it would be nice to have them in a seperate place. Easier to find them all in one place and it would provide a somewhat of a 'refuge' from the anti-ERB crowd :p. Plus you could have an FAQ pinned to the top to answer all the questions that n00bs to the ERB world always ask.

Maybe??....

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Count me in.

I think it's a kool idea,but I'm sure some would not agree that a Piccolo or Subcontra Bass(C# F# B E) is an extended range bass.logic tells us that they indeed are ERB's

3. I saw you coming from a mile away ;)

4. As soon as I get :eek: THIS(third time posting this pic today- what a dork I am):

5. I'll say it again - that is the coolest fretboard :cool:

6. Ain't no frets on that thing, :confused: & there ain't gonna be :eek: . But if you say it's cool, it's cool. :cool:

7. Oh...I didn't even realize it was gonna be a fretless. I guess I saw the lines there and just assumed :p

That makes it even more cool then :smug:

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

But there are fret lines:)

9. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    IIRC this has been suggested before. And the outcome.... well, there isn't an ERB sub-forum here now, is there.

In fact, here's the discussion I remember:
    http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140500

10. Ah, thanks. I knew it had to have been discussed before. I just didn't go back quite far enough...

A year later though - ERBs are more popular now than they used to be I think, maybe people's thoughts have changed? :)

11. Can I vote twice? ;)

12. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Well, it's been about a year so this suggestion is about due for another round :)

Some of the reasons why an ERB forum was not opened include:

-it would probably result in a dividing effect, ERB vs non-ERB, if one group hangs around in one forum and not the other.

-"Basses" is our most popular forum. Having ERB threads intertwined in this forum gives them much exposure and introduces many to the fact that ERB's exist. A separate ERB forum would get much, much less traffic and exposure.

John Turner and I tossed around the idea of a panel-discussion forum for ERB's, with several of our hot ERB players sitting on a guest panel ready to respond to queries about the instrument and it's unique challenges. But this never got off the ground...