seperate poweramp & preamp vs. all in one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just out of curiousity what are the advantages of useing a seperate poweramp and preamp vs. having them both in the same model:confused: . I've played with both in this way and really can't see an advantage myself. Although mabye it's the gear I'm using.:rolleyes:
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Main reason is to get really high power. Although there are now integrated heads like Ampeg's SVT-IV that top 1000 watts, just a few years ago you couldn't get that much power without using a separate power amp.

Of course, a few years ago you didn't see people using kilowatts in night clubs, either :rolleyes:
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    And flexibility. You can have one big power amp and a couple of different preamps for various applications.
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    and price... getting a preamp and a poweramp is cheaper than getting the complete from the company...
    i paid $800 total for my 1400 watt Ampeg setup by buying the SVP-pro and a mackie.... the 1000 watt equivalent, SVT4PRO is $1300 from musicians friend... so even if you could get it down to $1000, i'd still have more power, and $200 leftover for a nice shockmounted rack case.
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My reason for asking is that I'm currently running an ADA MB-1 through a Mackie 1400i and I find myself using more of the tube simulator than anything else and I wondered if it would be worth while to look into an SVP PRO as an addition to this or if I should look into selling the above and going with either a Mesa Boogie 400+ or the SVT 2:confused: What would you advise?
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't know about that... I have much more $ invested in my rack setup than I ever put in a head.
  7. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Having it all separate makes the rig more upgradeable and modular, so if you don't like 1 component in the signal chain, you replace it, instead of buy a whole new one. I used to believe that in everything, it was always cheaper to buy components together than separately. That is totally not true with bass amps.
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    and i bet its better than any head you've ever had... i was saying that a preamp-poweramp combo is cheaper than its equivalent complete..

for example.. and svp-pro and a mackie are cheaper than an svt4pro

a navigator and a carvin/crown/qsc, are cheaper than a WT800 etc.

ofcourse when you start adding rack stuff like power conditioners, tuners, compressors, big fat EQ's, or whatever else you want, it's going to be more expensive.. but match any high powered head to its pre-power equivalent, and the preamp route will be cheaper and more flexible. As long as you don't mind carrying a rack instead of a head, its the way to go...

Fixer.. both the SVT2 and Mesa 400+ are all tube, and no matter how good your preamp, most people will tell you that if you want an all tube sound.. that's the only way to do it... personally i'm fine w/ my SVP and mackie... but if that's the sound you want, go for it... lots of people are willing to put up with the weight, extra cost, and fragility (if that's a word).

if you decide that you don't need to have only tubes in your setup, try looking into a sansamp DI.. people love the tubes in those, or the SVP-Pro.. i love mine... i've never A/Bed it with an ADA though, so i'm not sure how much you'd have to gain... either way i'd suggest keeping the MB-1 as an effects loop for all the cool stuff in it..

goodluck and let us know what happens..