Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Seperation anxiety

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Well the G&L is boxed up and will be on its way to sunny California in the morning. I Posted the Fender over at HC, so I should get at least a bite. If not, it is off to ebay.

I am anxious, as I did love the L2500. But this is on its way to my house. I am excited at the same time.

For the work I have these days, this ought to be perfect, plus I got a killer deal.

[​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

CHAS! Going from G&L/Fender to a Quantum? Wow, that's a big difference tonally!

Looks very sweet.:) What kind of pickups and electronics does it have?

3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Hey awesome bass! What kind of pickups?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yep. I want that ultra modern sound. This one has the Barts. Two band bart preamp. For all of the contemporary gospel stuff I am playing now, this ought to be sweet. I loved the fingerstyle punch/boom that this bass has.

I think that the barts have a little more life than the EMGs. Although I played the EMG Modulus and liked it.

My only regret is that I didn't hold out to try a Zon. I just couldn't pass this one up. It is best looking Q5 I have seen.

Chas

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet, Chas. A friend of mine just traded in one like that in that color... I don't think he really knows why.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    WOW! Chasm, that is a great looking bass.
    I have very little places around me to test out bass so... How would you describe the sound of a Modulus Quantum. How would you describe it to an active Jazz Bass? I used this as an example cause its the tone I’m most familiar with.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Chas, you should be fine. I prefer the Barts on the Quantum series, the EMGs sound a little too brittle to me. Some guys love 'em, though.

You could have held out for a Zon, but strangely enough, I haven't been able to find any used Zons here lately. I was thinking of a fretted 5 for Uforia, although now she is wanting a fretless.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nice bass, man! I saw that on the site this morning...wishing I could get it for myself! You won't regret it!

My only other thing to add is that you might want to spend another ~$120 to get the Bart 3-band put in. Makes a HUGE difference in the tone.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I did notice on the Bartolini site that the mid control is a seperate element in the preamp circuit. So, I guess it would be no really big deal to have added to the preamp.

How would that work? A concentric B&T and then have the mids on another pot? I guess I could wire it anyway that I wanted, but I don't want to drill another hole in it.

To the other question of how a Q5 compares to a jazz. Well, it is sort of an apples and oranges.

The graphite neck and 35" scale on the Q5 combine for a TON of tight, punchy bottom. The clarity in the low end of the bass is tenfold better than any bass that I have ever owned. And the b string indistinct of the others. It is just one of 5. The B string on a jazz bass is comparatively weak.

The Bartolinis seem to have a little more woof in the bottom end than do the EMGs, and they don't have the natural compression of the EMGs, (some hate this characteristic of EMGs, but I kinda like it) but the warmth and smoothness of the mids and highs on the barts makes them preferable IMHO.

Chas

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    How's the growl? Would EMGs growl more or less than the Barts?

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Angus, your idea is interesting. I checked the site again and maybe I was wrong. I guess you go replace the whole preamp? I could still set it up on concentric pots though.