Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sequencer wars

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by air_leech, Feb 2, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hi all,

I'd like to know whats the difference between the Boss
    dr.5, dr.770 and Dr. 202?

is anyone better than the other? are they specified at different purposes? why would they need so many models, can't they settle on one production line?

2. Heres the breakdown...They just get better with everymodel
    I've owned a Dr-5 and the 202
    Supposedly the 770 is the bomb
    each machine has its own features
    Wht not just settle with one bass type,thats all you need??

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

Thanks Fuzbot, that was helpful and yes, at the moment my one and only bass is quite good in filling all my needs.

anyway, I read the 202 can emulate the legendary TB303 sounds? does that mean the other two can't do that?
    which is a better drum machine? cos thats gonna be the main function

4. Air,
    Try the 770 out for a test run at a local music store if you can find it.I would recommend the 202 over the dr-5.
    The dr-5 sounds are sort of chessy (my boy called it the video game beatbox)The cool thing about it is that you can write string lines,synths,drums..
    The 202 sounds awesome! Straight up its just a better machine.It has the 303 sounds plus more.it also has delay/flange/chorus to make orginal sounds.Its mostly drum sounds.
    go to
    http://www.harmonycentral.com
    the have a section called "user reviews"
    this will give you an idea of what each does.
    Peace!

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have both the DR 5 and the DR 770,and they have a few important differences,not the least of which is that the DR 5 also has a decent collection of keyboard,bass and other synth sounds and has a four track sequencer which allow one to create backing tracks with a full arrangement.There's also a guitar input on the DR 5 although I've yet to use it.The DR 5's pads are not dynamic,however,one can create a semblance of dynamics with the accent buttons.The DR 770 is pretty much like many other traditional drum machines out there;you make patterns and you string 'em together to make a song.It has the edge,IMHO,over other similarly priced machines in the quality and sheer number of different drum samples and the massive amount (400) of user programmable patterns.If all you need is drum sounds,the 770 would be it,but if you want to make little sketchpad arrangements of what your tune would sound like with a band and don't have any other Midi gear,the DR 5 is hard to beat.