Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 2, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i just realized that these things are wonderful and i need one. i tried yamaha QY100. what can you tell me about this sequencer?

i would like to know if i can achieve the same things with a software for Pc (please name those softwares).

and which are the direct competitors of yamaha QY100.

2. awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    For what are you going to use it?

The 2 best software-sequencers are logic and cubase, hope that helps.
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yeah, if you have a computer, forget about a dedicated box, you already have a much better sequencer than anything like that picture. You just need some hardware and software for it.
  4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ooh! I'm trying to get one of those Yamaha things so I can write songs during my commute. But yes, I imagine a computer could do more and would be easier to work with. But the portability sells it for me. Sequencing to write songs rules! (None of those not-being-able-to-play-it type restrictions).

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I know that most PC software-based sequencers are theoreticaly better and have used Cubase, but I find hardware based sequencers more intuitive to use - they are dedicated and you just plug in when you want use it.

I always found it a big pain trying to link my PC to all my musical gear and would rather keep a dedicated sequencer (micro composer) with all my musical stuff linked together permanently.

I use laptops which I carry around with me when I travel, so I would always be unplugging stuff and then having to connect up again when I am ready to do some music composition.
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i agree. i hava a Pc, but iam not really good with musicprograms and i need help.

tons of software, no try before you buy, not user friendly interaction...

i am lost in a sea of names...
  7. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    As for some models Roland makes some sequencers that I'm interested in. The main one to grab my interest is the MC-80, and there is also the MC-50mkII.

My sequencing plan is something like this. Write sequences in my Mac (don't know what software I'll use, but it'll probably be Pro Tools if I can get it to play nice in MIDI land.) Then I'll use the sequencer live to play strings/synths/etc direct from disk. I'll also write a bit on the sequencer, but that will be mainly done in my comp.

Yamaha makes the RM1X, which I've heard is a good sequencer with built in tones.

Just a way to think about it, even though it's not exactly what you said you plan to do.