Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    I think the B90 has a standard winding and is not wound for position like the Singles. Awhile back, I asked Jake about doing a bass with 2 B90s because of that 3 B90 bass that JMJ had made. He told me that was just kind of a crazy one-off bass and that the B90 wasn't the type of pickup you put 2 of on a bass. That was about a year ago, so I don't want to say he would still hold to that, but that is what he said at the time and leads me to believe it has a standard winding. Also, the B90 product page doesn't give the option of ordering different types of windings other than the LZN-B90. That said, I am sure he would do a custom wind if asked.

Type-55 likes this.
  2. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Yeah on my first MM2, i had jake over wind the B-90 just a bit to growl. He is super cool about this stuff.:thumbsup:

Type-55, Rezdog and Midwesterner like this.
  3. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    While we are on the subject of B90s, any of you have both the original and LZN-B90? I am doing a build where I am deciding which to go with. It will be a fretless Sacramento 30.5" single pickup bass with the pickup in the middle/P-Bass position.

For the record, I have heard LowEndLobster's comparison video and have a MW with a B90 + dummy coil, so I am not coming at this brand new. To me, it sounds like the B90 sits tonally between the LZN-B90, with parallel being a bit brighter and series being a bit darker.

If I could go for a B90 with a dummy coil for the Sacramento, I probably would, but its lack of pickguard rules this out. I just love the sound of the original B90 and am hoping the differences between it and LZN-B90 are very subtle. That said, nothing like hearing from folks who have both!

wellshuxley likes this.
  4. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I can’t help you out with a comparison, but I have the LZN-B90 and the diversity in tones between series and parallel is big. You can get a lot of different sounds out of it.

5. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    How would you drscribe the 2 different tones?

6. brennanmcnally

brennanmcnally Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Series sounds like a humbucker, parallel sounds like two single coils.

Midwesterner likes this.
  7. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Hi everyone. May I ask - what was your experience/build time with ordering custom from Jake Serek, particularly any customers outside of the US (im in Sydney). I've been burnt badly with a custom build from a one-man operation before and swore I'd never do it again.
    Currently gassing over a Midwestern 2 as a 5 string.
    Also, do these two pickup models sound any good with slap?

Thanks!

8. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    I think Jake is at a year out on new builds.

soong likes this.
  9. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    I certainly understand your caution about going with a small builder again and being half a world away geographically...

I can only speak to dealing with Jake & I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a better builder and more honorable man than Jake Serek. And he also has 2 great guys working with him, Atticus & Zach.

i encourage you to read this thread & email Jake directly and put your concerns to him. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised in your interactions with him.

I have been playing for 20+ years and been privileged enough to either own or play every bass I’ve ever GAS’ed for. Despite having 2 builds on with him now, if I could only have my Midwestern and no other bass, I would be content.

Hope that helps some!

10. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    That is so wonderful to hear! Thank you.

Midwesterner likes this.
  11. Kendescending

Kendescending Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Milwaukee
    Jake has been great to work with. I had a ton of questions for him (which he answered) before I was going to place my order. Then right before I was going to order, I found a new Lincoln for sale and bought that immediately, which saved time from having to wait for the build. I have since sold a '72 P bass, '78 Jazz bass, Hofner 500/8 semi hollow, Squier Bullet bass (MIJ), Vacarro Xray, and Electra Outlaw (MIJ). I've been playing the Lincoln everyday since I received it in February of this year. I haven't had the desire to buy another bass since I received my Serek...

rllefebv, soong, Midwesterner and 2 others like this.
  12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I’m not ready to sell off my arsenal yet, but I can second that I’ve gigged my 5-string B-90 equipped MW2 exclusively since its arrival. I can’t put it down!

I don’t see why it wouldn’t handle slap if you’re ok with the ergonomics of short scale, but I think you’d want good advice on pickup combinations, placement, cap settings and switching options to do so. My single B-90-5 in the sweet spot could certainly handle slapping in a P-bassy fashion, especially with roundwounds, but overall it leans towards a vintage-y vibe. I rarely slap anyway.

I’d certainly pose the question to Jake in his order form, but also the other posters just above me have likely given that idea more thought and may have ideas.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    wellshuxley likes this.
  13. Thumper02

Thumper02 Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Dallas, TX
    Just adding to the chorus that Jake is a not only a great builder, but a great communicator as well. He seems to take an hour every morning to just respond back to customers and has never taken more than a day to get back to me.

idlechrome, Midwesterner and kazuhank like this.
  14. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I would echo all of this and can't say it better. Jake & Co. are top notch, patient, and super helpful. My first build even came in a few weeks early.

I can say that I also significantly thinned my own herd after receiving my Midwestern. If it was my only bass I would be content. My gas is essentially for Sereks now.

I managed a guitar shop as a kid and have played, repaired, and set up too many basses to count and Jake's stuff just marries the quality and feel like nothing I've played. Yet it still has a character and quality in each instrument that I never found in the super high end basses that have crossed my path.

I can't speak to the international ordering trepidations, but feel like Jake & Co. would put you at ease and come through for you.

15. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Like many other folks, I've played my Serek pretty much every day since getting it. I can't say the same for any other bass I've owned. It's just such a great bass to have in hand! Also, when you see one in person, they just look so well put together!

kazuhank likes this.
  16. I cannot express how helpful Jake has been through out the entire process of helping me design my second build. He has been endlessly patient with my many changes and back-and-forths. I couldn't recommend him or his basses more.

Midwesterner and kazuhank like this.
  17. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    really curious about the 5-string B90, I didn't realize that was a thing. have any pics?

TomB likes this.
  18. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    agreed. I’ve seen Serek singles for 5 string, but I don’t think there is a B90 for 5 yet.

Update: post #1693 has a pic of TomB’s bass.
    the cover looks like a Single to me, but maybe it’s a B90 under the hood.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    PeterH likes this.
  19. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yep - I posted it. Thx for finding it.

BeauZooka likes this.
  20. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021