Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Thumper02

Thumper02 Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Dallas, TX
    Realized I never posted my build on order with Jake, but in May I put in an order for a 32 inch Midwestern 2. It will be white with a white pickguard and rosewood fretboard. After a lot of deliberation, I went with a Serek single at the neck and a B90 in the sweet spot (both with white covers). Pretty pumped for it to get here next year!

2. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    That sounds similar to my "white out" build which is going to be an Armitage with a white B-90 in the sweet spot and matching white cover, large guard, TR cover, and knobs. Now to wait...

3. Thumper02

Thumper02 Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Dallas, TX
    Did not realize you could get white knobs…. Oh man, I know you can’t change your build after the deposit, but I may have to ask ha!

kazuhank likes this.
  4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yes, but not regarding the pickup. Many features on my bass were custom-ordered. I have talked with Jake multiple times but not about the pickup’s identity. I bought it used so I may be mistaken. I did get from Jake that there is no LB-90 in 5-string, because I asked.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    BeauZooka likes this.
  5. Same pickup combo as the build I just put down a deposit for. Jake seems to be pretty lenient with changes after the deposit is made - I made 4 changes up to even a month after making my deposit and Jake never charged me. I added a matching headstock, series/parallel push pull, roasted maple neck and switched my fingerboard from Ziricote to Ebony. He was incredibly patient with me and now I feel I’m totally set. I’m sure he will happily accommodate whatever change you want to make.

Midwesterner and Thumper02 like this.
  6. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Speaking of pickups I have a Nordy Big Split neck pickup coming next week.
    It will be replacing the Novak Tbird pickup that’s in there now.
    I anticipate good things. I’m looking for a more P bass tone than the Tbird has.

emjazz and Thumper02 like this.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Big Split lies between a P and a J. Really amazing pickup. I'd suggest making it series/parallel. You can do that with a push/pull on the volume so everything looks the same.

Type-55 likes this.
  8. wellshuxley

wellshuxley Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Also speaking of pickups, has anyone heard Serek Singles wired up with a series-parallel switch?

9. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    My thoughts exactly

Thumper02 and emjazz like this.
  10. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The 4-way switch on my Lincoln with the dual Serek singles had series and parallel options. I personally preferred the soloed pickups for most applications, but the series and parallel settings were great - almost too much in some applications. They would get the pair of pickups into Music Man and Ric territory to my ears.

The bass in this video has the same configuration that mine did.

Benjamin Ross and wellshuxley like this.
  11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    To correct the record: So I dug up what I have for the specs. It is indeed a “standard single-coil middle pickup with dummy coil” so y’all called it right, and that’s the pic.
    Anyway, I like it! …and so do band mates, sound techs and fans so far.
    But if Jake et al come up with a LazenB90-5, I'm in line!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  12. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    Over a year later, have you put a guard on it? It’s EASILY the best looking Serek (so far) {HUGE Fellow Chris Squire fan}

13. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    Man this one’s been a LOOONG time coming, all said it’s been {and WILL BE} LOOOONG worth the wait! Been following Serek and been pining for one since 2017! Pre-Armitage, MW2, and Lincoln! I was first enticed seeing the brand promoted on OG Reverb with the OG MW, thought it was INSANELY cool someone was making a new boutique Epiphone Newport? Embassy? bass and keeping that thing alive! THEN I was blown away seeing the OBVIOUSLY Rickenbacker inspired Sacramento! Alas, as a broke 20 year old college student it wasn’t in the cards.

This year, after the Grand 3 and several SWEET looking customs, {and the call to hire more hands} as well as announcing the plan to hone in (and cut down) some customization options. I figured I’d FINALLY bite the big one! Initially I had inquired on getting a Mike Rutherford/Chris Squire influenced Sacramento DOUBLE NECK 12/4. Jake patiently, read through it and responded saying such a job is more than they can handle at this time (but theoretically would be ~$5-6k for any fellow double neck enthusiasts that may enquire). That shot down, I shot out my Plan B request, I’ve always wanted a Gibson Ripper, and already own a Rickenbacker and recently came into a Gibson Triumph (which I love and was tempted to sell for a Serek, but having bought it STUPID cheap for 2021, I can’t sell it knowing I’d long for another), I settled on the Lincoln! Specs mentioned later.

As mentioned countlessly here, I was surprised by Jake and his {Liv Soprano voice} patience of a SAINT! And not only that, but to have a bass built by another HUGE Chris Squire fan??? That alone earns a TON of credibility in my book! And after reading all 105 pages of this thread I get a sense I’m not joining an elite club, but rather a Brotherhood of Boutique Bass owners who seek to look out for one another when it comes to possible issues, general inquiries and a mass drooling over Jake’s handiwork lol. Now onto the bass!

I’m a HUGE 70s colors guy, just fore warning. I’ll be getting a 34” Lincoln with an Olive Drab Poplar body {but upon reading the paint wear I MAY try to swap for either Mahogany or Walnut}, Roasted Maple Neck and Chechen Fingerboard. I will also get a “Chris Squire” Headstock in vintage cream, white truss cover, and Katalox wings. It will also have an Orange Swirl guard AND the SICK Aluminum knobs as seen on Hondo Felder’s Thunder-Lincoln! Now onto the good stuff! I’ll be getting a Novak BS-DS middle pickup with Parchment cover AND a Black Ripper-esque Soapbar Lazen-B90! Topping it off the controls are Tone (Push/Pull for Novak Tap), Volume (Push/Pull for LZN-B90 Series/Parallel), and 4-way Rotary (Bridge, Neck, Parallel, Series). The price for such a one of? A STUPID reasonable imo $3,000! {Stupid reasonable considering the prices of 70s Rippers, New (uncustomizable) Rickenbackers, and run of the mill Fender Custom Shop jobs. Slayed for July 22 drop, I am SUPER excited and CAN NOT wait for this dream to become reality!

PeterH, Bugeyed Earl, GregC and 4 others like this.
  14. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Ha! I saw July 22 & thought, “Awesome! That’s today!”. Then I realized that was July 2022. Now I’m bummed!

On the upside, Jake just let me know my 32” MW2 is scheduled to drop in September, which means I’ll be getting a Serek for my birthday. Never got a bass for my birthday before. Only took 48 years!

15. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I was miss informed. The Big Splits are hardwired for series operation only.

16. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    Yeah, I WISH it was today! That would be one helluva quick build though! Either way it beats the wait for a Wal! I hear they’re FOUR YEARS OUT at this point! Not to mention damn near $20k!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Midwesterner and BeauZooka like this.
  17. ...what? lol

18. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    7A54FE2F-58DF-4C47-95F1-78E1D34178F2.jpeg

As of May 11th, this year...certainly makes waiting ONE year seem like a cake walk!

19. Ah, gotcha! I'm so dumb... when you said "Wal," I thought you were referring to Jake's basses made with Walnut. Lol. I apologize.

GodsLove66 likes this.
  20. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    Not unless some unimaginable Walnut shortage happens rather immediately lol.

Benjamin Ross likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021