Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    What flat wound strings are Serek owners using?

2. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Dunlop flats. Solid fundamental, but with just a touch of brightness for some nice articulation. On my MW w/ B90.

RyanKinBK, kazuhank and TomB like this.
  3. Thumper02

Thumper02 Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Dallas, TX
    D’Addario Chromes for me. Good balance of brightness and flat feel.

4. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    TIs on my Sac.

5. mobeme23

mobeme23 Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    NorCal, Coastside
    +1 on the Dunlops.
    I was less impressed by the la’bellas, and thinking I might try some chromes next.

ironically, I just put a set on ghs nickel rounds on my MW2 and so far I’m loving them. We’ll see how long I go this time before returning to flats ;)

6. I have the non coil tapped BS-DS which is very beefy. Do you think it's worth swapping out for the coil tap on my MW? Is there a significant difference?

maplebar and rllefebv like this.
  7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Whilst definitely NOT a Serek, the Fender Musicmaster is sporting a Novak BS/DS, so I'll throw in an opinion

IMO, yes, there is a significant difference, which is the beauty of the coil-tap! In untapped, full DS mode, there is more volume, drive, and beefier tone, as you've noticed. Tapped, the BS setting has slightly less oomph, but allows some really clear highs come through. There is a noticeable volume dip in BS mode, but easily compensated. Both settings drive the input on the PF-50T nicely.

When I wired this in, I ALMOST went DS only, (solely because I lacked confidence in my soldering abilities), but I'm glad I sucked it up and toughed it out. I thought I'd hardly use the BS setting, but I actually hang there quite a bit. The coil-tap give a lot of versatility. Only you can decide if it's worth the mod...

IMG_6163.jpg

-robert

nixdad, Rezdog, GregC and 6 others like this.
  8. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    I am glad I have both options. They differ enough to be worth having.

RyanKinBK, GodsLove66 and BassVibes like this.
  9. That helps me make my decision.

rllefebv likes this.
  10. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Glad that helps. I find that coil tapped/DS mode it gets in the neighborhood of the Guild BS and in full-on BS mode, well, to quote Jake in a recent email it sounds like "a dark, thumpy meat hammer, haha".

Indeed!

Ibanezer83, GodsLove66 and rllefebv like this.
  11. A perfect analogy - I always have to turn my amp down when I plug in the MW beast.

Midwesterner likes this.
  12. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Looking for a solid body Sacramento with a 34” scale and Serek singles. If anyone is looking for a Fender Cs 57 P, please private message me.

13. Jazzpunk

Jazzpunk Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2021
    What would you all consider to be the ultimate old school funk and soul Serek model and pickups? I'm coming from a P and J background so the Serek styles are new for me. Trying to figure out what might suit my needs best.

14. mobeme23

mobeme23 Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    NorCal, Coastside
    I can cop all types of old-school funk and soul on my Midwestern2 with Guild Bisonic (neck) and Novak DS (bridge). strung with Dunlop flats, pick or fingers.

I'm sure there are a bunch of different configurations within Serek offerings that will "take you there".
    B90 on a Midwestern also comes to mind....

that's one of the best features of Jake's basses, IMO: it seems they can pretty much all get some form of old-school thump. I take it Jake is a big fan of the old school.

Midwesterner, GodsLove66 and Jazzpunk like this.
  15. The BS/DS thumps hard. I’m sure the guild does too. With the tone at about 30%, it’s just mega thump. I love it.

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Dunlops

Midwesterner, Type-55 and kazuhank like this.
  17. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Midwestern with a Guild Bisonic or B90.

18. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    B90 in the P-Bass position with flats = vintage Fender to my ears.

rllefebv, kazuhank, Jazzpunk and 4 others like this.
  19. wellshuxley

wellshuxley

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    The used chambered Sacramento from Music Go Round arrived today! Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm also adopting a puppy today, so my life will likely be too chaotic to fully appreciate the bass for a while yet :laugh:

Rezdog, Ibanezer83, kazuhank and 6 others like this.
  20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    "New Bass And Puppy Day" should most definitely be a thing!!! Pix of both please!

-robert

Ibanezer83, bhunt1, kazuhank and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2022