Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    Might need to buy a second one lol! Seriously though, that top on yours looks TOO GOOD to cut into, imho.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That's true lol I probably won't do it. I'd rather put the money towards a fretless Armitage

Midwesterner and GodsLove66 like this.
  3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, that Armitage looks great. Anyone know what an EB Fat pickup is supposed to sound like? I don't see that exact one on Novak's site.

4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    There’s an MW2 for $2200 on a seattle facebook group. 1 Novak 1 Guild. Mono bag. Not affiliated.
    D7B139AF-76B5-4A06-BAC7-2A0200706AE7.jpeg

5. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    Yo! Been a min. Sorry I never followed up from Serek Owners/Fan Club

I got the Empress Buffer+ a-ok and am pleased to say it definitely does tame the high output from the Serek in a very transparent way! However, having to run another pedal to do this is kind of a drag, so I'm thinking of just toughening up and using the dang volume knob like you're supposed to. Still haven't really decided yet.

In the meantime, anyone know if Jake's done any more guitars since this one? I really have a hankering for a Serek guitar...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    brennanmcnally and Ibanezer83 like this.
  6. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    There are a couple of Serek basses in the classifieds, too.

BeauZooka likes this.
  7. Flacco

Flacco Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good Morrow!!

Heres my brand-spanking new Lincoln with her siblings lol. I am now fully converted to the Serek brand. By golly is it a beast! I ordered back in February and it came last week (9 months :() but its worth it.

....I'm sure I am not alone in saying this, but now I need another one...

XeNOSwgS0V70Eyyf64cq05_5NZs38jpJGWEPXeR0sMm4otPLZRzuzMYkpkFt2JVYEBTerF5Pq&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

remcult, Jazzpunk, nixdad and 13 others like this.
  8. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Only one more? You have better restraint than I!

Congrats on the Lincoln! They are worth the wait, aren't they!!!

kazuhank, GodsLove66, Rezdog and 2 others like this.
  9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yours made it to IG

Screenshot_20211122-192142_Instagram.jpg

bhunt1, Flacco, GodsLove66 and 3 others like this.
  10. Flacco

Flacco Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Now I can tell my family I accomplished something musically :laugh:

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Is that a new "The Grand" in the background?

Screenshot_20211122-232603_Instagram.jpg

12. MadModBassist

MadModBassist

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio
    Looks similar to the Grand that Cameron Picton of black midi bought.

PeterH, BeauZooka and fourstringdrums like this.
  13. Kendescending

Kendescending Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Milwaukee
    Over the past few days I modified my Lincoln. As much as I loved the Novak BS/DS, it didn't fit with our bands sound. I took a chance with the Serek singles, and below is what happened...

I was able to route out the body between the mounting points of the Novak and add the Serek singles neck/pickups while still keeping the mounting points of the Novak. I had to make a new pickguard, so I used the original pickguard as a template and measured/routed for the new pickups in order to make a new wooden template. I had some textured pickguard plastic laying around, so I decided to use that up first, and this is how it tuned out. I also added a quick connect between the bridge ground and wiring harness so that I can switch out pickups/pickguards between the Serek singles and Novak BS/DS in a few minutes without having to solder any connections.

With the 2 Serek singles pickups, I have a 4 way rotary switch (bridge, parallel, series, neck) and a volume control along with a 3 way mini toggle that changes the value of the 250k pot to 165k and 125k (which essentially rolls of some of the high end). No tone control for this bass as of yet. The Novak has regular volume and tone controls, but I also added the toggle switch for some high end rolloff. I learned quite a few things working in a speaker cabinet shop for 12 years at my previous job...

Before:

resistor mod.jpg

After:

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.47.24 PM.png

14. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Nice mods!! Way to go sir!

Kendescending likes this.

15. Nice work! I know you've been playing with the pickup arrangement for a while.
    What about the way the Bs/Ds sat in the mix with your band didn't work out?

16. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Nice work! It sounds like you have a more versatile bass!

I really love the resistor mod idea & frankly I wouldn’t miss the tone control. Being able to change the resonant peak of the pickup allows you to brighten/darken the tone but, to my ears, seem to retain the full character on the pickup. I find rolling off the tone control gets things too muddy/mushy too quick & takes a lot of a pickup’s character with it. (I realize I am probably in the minority here.)

In the rare instances I need to “bury” my tone, I can tweak my amp or use an EQ pedal. Having a selector with different resistances has proven much more useful for me than my tone knob ever has.

17. Kendescending

Kendescending Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Milwaukee
    I really love the Novak, but it's too massive sounding in the full coil mode for the sound I'm looking for. The tapped mode sounded great with the band, but the pickup output is very low compared to my other basses, and I need higher output. I could easily use an EQ or boost pedal to tailor the pickup, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of pedals that I use. The Serek single bridge pickup fits the band perfectly. It has that sound that I need and raising the pickup up closer to the strings gets that hot slightly overdriven grit through my bass rig.

Flacco and Ibanezer83 like this.
  18. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    I agree with your comment on the Novak in BS mode. It is just HUGE. I am glad I have it on tap, but I find I use the DS mode 9 out of 10 times. I am finding I like it a lot with 500K. 1M sounds pretty good and is maybe just a touch bright, but still quite usable. 250K is pretty good, too. In BS mode, I really like having 1M available as it trims down the heaviness of it to some degree. That said, nothing can truly tame BS mode. It is like a freight train in the 8th notch—full on!!!

Flacco, Ibanezer83 and Relsom like this.
  19. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Good info. My Sac. is solid maple with a pair of Novak BSs, no tap option and VVT controls. Strung with TI flats. I've found it useful to go wide open on the rear vol & tone controls and use the front volume to mix in heaviness to taste, which is usually about at 50%. I don't even remember what my pot and cap values are. Guess I need to open it up and see.

I will say that it is very satisfying in a band setting.... more so than in at home practice.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Ibanezer83, Rezdog and Midwesterner like this.
  20. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    Jake uses 250K pots standard, so unless you asked him to throw in something different, then that should be what you're running. I bet that bass sounds monstrous!

Relsom likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021