Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    It does..... and 32" scale seems quite the sweet spot for me.

rllefebv, Ibanezer83 and Midwesterner like this.
  2. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    32” really seems “just right” to me, too!

rllefebv likes this.
  3. I've only ever tried one 32" scale bass in my life (it was some kind of Ibanez) and something about that scale length felt so strange to me. I love my short scale bass, but 32" felt like an uncanny valley. And I totally realize how insane that sounds, but maybe the bass I tried was just a crappy bass that I didn't like for other reasons. The 5 string 32" Midwestern 2's that Jake does seem so incredibly cool that I would love to try one out.

Flacco likes this.
  4. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I've been gigging Kubicki ExFactors almost exclusively for close to the last decade, so 32" is quite familiar.

nixdad likes this.
  5. Flacco

Flacco Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    So in my NBD thread a fella asked if could provide sound samples. So here is what I got. I can attest (and I am sure you can too from the recording) that the Guild BS adds a TON of boominess. I too found it too much in a live setting. Heck, the B90 is hot and boomy as well. I am considering going rounds with this bass to tame it a little. I provided my Pbass as a reference as well which is an American special with TI flats and Lindy Frailin pickups. Feel free to critique away....lol

Attached Files:

Jazzpunk, Ibanezer83, Rezdog and 5 others like this.
  6. So I'm looking to upgrade from a Novak BS-DS to a new coil tap BS-DS on my MW. Anyone know what push-pull pot to go for? I am guessing it is a 250k pot as standard?

7. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    It is. As far as the manufacturer, that'd be a Jake question. Once I get some time, probably late December/early January, I want to upload some audio so folks can hear the BS & DS modes in 250K/500K/1M and see which pot value they like best.

Ibanezer83, Relsom and wellshuxley like this.
  8. J. Brooks

J. Brooks Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm curious to see other people's wear and tear on their Sereks after having them for a while. Here's mine. I've owned it for about 3 years, I haven't even played it on that many gigs because of quarantine, but it's definitely got some wear on it.

Attached Files:

9. Flacco

Flacco Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Looks great to me! As Jake said, he wants his basses to be played, not hung on a wall. Keep on getting that natural relic

J. Brooks and droo46 like this.
  10. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Looks incredible!

J. Brooks likes this.
  11. Dude, if you can find time for that I for one will be really greatful.. not to mention, for as much as it has come up in this and other threads regarding specific pickups/basses , you'd probably be doing future Serek/ Novak customers a favor. Looking forward to hearing the comparisons !

Flacco likes this.
  12. Pretty bass; personally , I like the wear. But I have a few buddies that I imagine would be all butt hurt about it. Man that bass looks fun!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    J. Brooks likes this.
  13. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    I sincerely hope to. I am going to shoot for over the holidays to get it done as I am pretty sure I should have some time if things go as planned...

Ibanezer83 likes this.
  14. wellshuxley

wellshuxley

Apr 16, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    My 2.5-year-old opaque satin MW2 has almost no visible wear: 2 scuffs on the headstock from a grabby guitar stand and a tiny nick on its side. I’ve only played one gig with it so far, but I play it at home almost every day. If you squint, it still looks new.

I don’t sweat much and my “personal oils” tend to play nice with guitars.

J. Brooks likes this.
  15. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    love the look on your MW! I got mine during the pandemic, so never gigged, but def has some wear on the lower curve of the body, the finish is super thin

J. Brooks likes this.
  16. J. Brooks

J. Brooks Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah I think if it's a natural or transparent finish the wear would be almost invisible. Also because I don't have a pickguard it wears through where my thumb is.

Yeah I like the way it looks that's why I'm curious to see other people's.

My sweat doesn't really wear through finishes much either, all of the scuffs seem to be from dinging it or when the zipper on the case scratches it. I'm glad the spots on the back of the neck can't really be felt though, it's still smooth feeling.

wellshuxley likes this.
  17. kazuhank

kazuhank Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I have had my Midwestern for one year and it has been gigged almost weekly and is sporting a thumb divot the size of a couple tic tacs above the pickup (where I anchor my thumb), and has a decent amount of tiny dings through the finish on the back side.

I imagine mine will look similar to yours in a couple years. It’s one of the things I like about Sereks. The finish wear has actually been a little slower than I thought, so the bumps and bruises seem well earned.

18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    GregC and ric4682 like this.
  19. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
  20. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Relsom likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021