Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I'm going to sell my Serek Midwestern. At least try to sell it.

The reason is, I want a Serek Sacramento, haha! 34" scale.

Short scale is nice, but after a year, I realize I'm a 34" Bass player.

I'll put an add and post it here.

If anyone in Europe has a full scale Sacramento, or even a Lincoln, and wants to trade to a short scale, tell me.

IMG_20211226_202654.jpg

MG Wolf, RyoCanCan, nixdad and 8 others like this.
  2. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    20220114_081859.jpg Swapped my electronics out again.

I went with the EMG HB pickups (p bass pickups in guitar humbucker housing, so they dropped right in) and BTC system.

The Nordstrand stuff was really great, but the single coil noise was pretty unmanageable in my house and other rooms I've played. I also still wasn't 100% happy with the way everything was sounding.

I got a white and ivory pickup because they were like $45 each from the EMG outlet. I was gonna paint them since I think it looks kinda jank, but jankifying a boutique bass is also 100% me so I think I'll leave it.

I really love this setup. I can get tons of bite but it never really gets harsh. More than enough low mid girth on tap. Lots of subtle differences along the blend knob. I finally feel satisfied with the electronics setup here.

I ordered a 24v mod battery since it's a bit smaller than a 9v and the cavity is super tight.

I'll probably sell the Nordstrand and Serek pickups. If anyone has any interest, let me know.

I also ordered a tailpiece for the D style bridge because the Hipshot outlet had one cheap. I prefer to avoid stringing through the body, so hopefully there's enough space on the body to make it work.

Ibanezer83, MG Wolf, nixdad and 6 others like this.
  3. GodsLove66

GodsLove66

Sep 15, 2013
    Welcome back! Longtime no see! Yours definitely has to be the most modded Serek for sure!!! Lol and I'm all for it! All in the name of science lol. The White EMGS actually look pretty good!!! How's that thing SOUND? And what genres is it for too?

Midwesterner likes this.
  4. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I do R&B/Funk, Rock/Metal, Punk/Post-Punk mostly.

This bass sounds extremely clear and defined. And now it has the benefit of being noise free. I don't like the tone of actual humbuckers much, so these p pickups are perfect. It also makes me feel cool because Les Claypool used these in his CTs, and hes the reason I started playing.

I previously described its slap tone as reminiscent of like cheesy 80s synth slap bass patches, but I mean that as a compliment. The low end fullness and top end clarity is mostly what I mean.

I always heard EMG were supposed to be compressed and sterile, but I've liked these P pickups (and their X series variants) in everything I've tried them in. The bass doesn't really sound drastically different than it's stock incarnation. The soul is all still there. It just has more of everything I like. More snap, more growl, more depth.

Crank the pre and dial back the volume, nice modern scooped slap sound or aggressive pick sound, cut the pre and you have a more vintage-ish tone. If the neck pickup was about an inch back, I think it would nail the P tone. The dip switches give you some nice options too. I wish there was room for a mid control, but no biggie. EMG should really make a volume/blend stack so you can throw a full 3 band pre in a 3 knob setup.

The blend control on the EMG also seems to be the most impactful one I've had in the bass so far.

The next experiment is strings. I've got DR Lo Riders on it now. I absolutely love them, but this bass has a naturally scooped tone, even unplugged. I'm gonna try the Fender 7250s since they seem very mid forward in demos I've heard.

Long winded, I know, but I don't get to talk gear anywhere else. Sorry.

5. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    No need to ever apologize for geeking out on gear here! We are all too happy to enable you!

6. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Hoping not to offend the Serek purists (or Jake) here. I've been shopping for a "value" grade gig bag for my 32" Sacramento. The 1st generation Levis bags that came with Sereks don't offer a whole lot of protection. The new version is very nice, but relatively expensive. I stumbled upon these Sire bags. This is the M series. Same as the V series, but made for shorter, medium length basses. It has a lot of nice features like 20mm padding, side walls, a rubber end boot, and a nice neck support. I took a chance and ordered one from CME for $50 with free shipping. Very pleased. I have a couple of 34" Fenders that need cases, so I might even order a couple of them when CME gets them back in stock.
    They make a short scale bag too, but I don't have the specs. There's about 2 1/2" clearance at the top of the headstock on this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I was going to suggest this bag, as it's pretty close to the Serek as far as features and protection, and in 2015 I paid $34 for it. But sadly it's $134 now. But if you can ever find one cheaper, I highly recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MS5W1ET?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

8. idlechrome

idlechrome

Feb 15, 2021
    Anybody know if Jake’s still running later on orders? Got my MW coming in February, but i just remembered he posted some time ago about delays w supply chain, etc.
    That still the case?

9. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    I too had an original feb delivery, was assuming it was going to be another 8ish weeks

10. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    He reached to me to choose my binding color for my Sacramento last week. I was originally quoted a January ‘22 delivery. I am now optimistic I could see it next month.

11. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Amersham, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Ah, very interesting to know!
    Is your Sacramento short or medium scale?

Cheers
    Si

12. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Medium Scale ... 32"

Si-bob likes this.
  13. Midwesterner

Midwesterner

Mar 5, 2020
    @Si-bob

You've got that Walnut MW, right? I LOVE the grain on the bass body! Very tasty!

14. Only ever borrowed new Rics, never owned one.
    I wanted a walnut ricky but wanted a mid scale bass since forever so when I discovered Serek, it was an easy decision to throw down for a walnut 32 Sacramento...
    My concern has always been whether or not I could cop a Rickenbacker pickup tone with the Bs/Dses.. but I like the idea of having a more modern rock type tone too so I think I'll be just fine!

GodsLove66 likes this.
  15. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Amersham, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Cool, so with the clearance you have at the top of your bag (medium scale bag?), sounds like if my MW is a shorty, I will be ok with their shortscale bag!
    I’d buy the Serek bag, but with postage and VAT into the UK, the cost gets a bit silly.

Yeah, it’s a joy! I totally lucked out on it, it was a stock built bass that Jake was just about to put on Reverb like 3 years ago or so, I just happened to comment on the Instagram post about it being my perfect spec and whoever ordered it should be commended, Jake said it was actually available….the rest is history haha.

3B9352AC-9D47-483C-A9EE-C35A495B8159.jpeg

Cheers
    Si

16. I loved my Lincoln so much when I got it. And then I got a G&L L2500 and loved it too. Then I couldn’t stop thinking about combining Serek and G&L. What do you guys think of this 32” scale Armitage mock-up?

9688A637-8354-4769-B8E6-7C17F47A5705.png

17. mobeme23

mobeme23 Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    NorCal, Coastside
    LOVE LOVE LOVE!!
    you and I have very similar taste!
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, wondering how it might work with the MFD pups.

that's a beautiful mockup IMO!

...still saving for my Serek5!

18. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
  19. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    Not New York
    I briefly considered something similar to this, but with the Hotwire/Bassculture wal pickups that have been previously done on a Serek before... I wonder which would best befit a Serek...

rhythmwiz, HotelX, Ibanezer83 and 2 others like this.
  20. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Oh Dang!

Midwestern 2 5'er, Fiesta Red, W-Buckers. Gracious.

A fella can dream...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022