1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Serek Owners/Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Aug 30, 2019.

1. campersand

campersand

Oct 26, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Seriously considering getting a 5 string Midwestern 2. My back issues are only getting worse and I'm hoping a lighter instrument will help. Plus I love the feel of short scales and the Serek aesthetic/sound.

Does anyone know if they have any kind of trial period or return policy? Kinda nervous to spend $2,500 on a bass I've never played.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    All sales are final. This is the T&C from my invoice

Screenshot_20200101-040915_Chrome.jpg

campersand likes this.
  3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings From The North,

eeeYup! It's a big leap of faith so research it until you're comfortable with your decision.

Rezdog

4. campersand

campersand

Oct 26, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well in that case, I'd be much obliged to anyone in or near Portland, OR who would let me try out their Serek! :)

remcult and Rezdog like this.
  5. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    IMHO, it would be good for Serak to be more generous on returns, given that Serak is a relatively new company without much distribution. Compare , for example, Sadowsky, which is very well established and still has a 7-day after receipt return policy for full refund (excluding shipping).

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That's the thing though: Sadowsky, because they're a bigger company can afford to do that. Small builders can't afford to give refunds. They can only work with the customer to make things right if there's an issue.

remcult likes this.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Serek is no different from any other small builder in this regard.

fourstringdrums and Adam Wright like this.
  8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    4727E836-1069-49BB-BBCD-1533A8B427BB.jpeg
    Here’s my MW2 that Was finished in Sept of ‘18. Such an easy playing bass! 30.5 scale with GHS Pressurewounds.

9. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Love the paint scheme, Zooka! That gold guard is sweet on a couple of different levels, especially with the matching truss rod cover. Nice job!

nixdad and BeauZooka like this.
  10. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    Here’s a couple more shots:
    69977C94-DFA9-40BC-A19E-AB9D408322B0.jpeg
    4E6AA9CA-1F48-4765-A645-A290BE6851EA.jpeg

Attached Files:

fourstringdrums likes this.
  11. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I noticed that Serek sells basses on Reverb, with a buyer return policy for 14 days from receipt, and buyer pays return shipping and a 10% restocking fee. So, apparently, Serek can afford and does have a return policy for at least those sales.

12. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The ones on Reverb aren't custom made per request. May have been a demo model, or a bass made for another customer that decided it was better if they just lost their deposit.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    ^This

He also doesn't sell a ton on his Reverb page, so if he has chosen to offer a return period on a bass here and there, that's different than extending it to all of his customers. But like was already said, most small builders don't have return periods. I've gotten custom drums from builders as well and they also have a similar policy. I'm willing to bet that most small builders, whether it's instruments or furniture, do not have a return policy.

14. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Not always. . .
    Serek Basses Midwestern 2017 PRE-ORDER | Serek Basses

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That could still be a special circumstance. It was also 2+ years ago. Fact is, his policy is what it is, like it or don't order from him. And it is a fact that a lot of builders have that policy. We could cherry pick through specific examples of when Jake himself didn't have that policy, or when other builders have or did, but it would be pointless.

emjazz and sleddogn like this.
  16. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Yep, can't expect a custom builder to take a return, gotta ask questions and feel comfortable. Jake is great at answering questions to help the process.....

emjazz and fourstringdrums like this.
  17. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That he is. Sometimes it takes him a few days to reply, but he's a busy guy, though he always gets back to me.

Rezdog likes this.
  18. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    To be clear, my original post simply said, in my humble opinion, it would be good for Serek to offer a return policy. It was only a suggestion. The response from several here was, essentially, he can not afford to do that as a small builder and no one else does. I pointed out that Serek had done it in the past, for pre-orders for his 2017 run. Serek also did it for pre-orders for his 2018 run.Serek Basses Midwestern Short Scale Bass 2018 PRE-ORDER
    So Serek has marketed pre-orders with a return policy in past years. Perhaps I should have said it would be good for Serek to continue the return policy. But, again, it was only a suggestion from me IMHO. Serek can run the business any way Serek wants, obviously. I just don't get why some Serek fans are so put off by the mere suggestion that Serek continue to do something that would potentially make more people want to buy. FWIW, I checked out Serek basses at prior NAMM shows and look forward to seeing them later this month at NAMM. I am impressed with their quality and design.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  19. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Well, you did post in a thread that's marked as a "fan club," for basses from a company that's young and small enough that the vast majority of people who order from them don't get to try the basses beforehand and so are risking money themselves. Also, having no refunds (or as you've pointed out here, refunds in particular instances) is incredibly common when it comes to work that is either highly customizable or from a small/specialized company. So it may be that it came across as you singling Serek out (again, the small company people on this thread are interested in and like) for a policy that they are not unique in maintaining.

It's a sensitive issue. To make it personal, if I don't like the bass I'm getting from Serek for whatever reason, I will almost definitely lose a fair amount of money reselling it. So to justify that, I have to keep in mind the custom nature of the bass and the size of the company.

You aren't wrong that in an ideal situation I'd be able to return any product I wasn't happy with for a full refund. But considering the product, the process, and the company, it's a very justifiable position for them to take.

20. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    The patience Jake has shown in answering my questions for the last 5-6 months is genuinely questionable, he's been great through the whole process

fourstringdrums and Rezdog like this.