Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serenity

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heroincredible, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Not sure how many Browncoats are on here, or how many people eagerly anticipated the release of this movie. I actually ended up seeing it 3 times yesterday, once in the afternoon where in line I met about 5 other fans and we hung out most of the day, handed out free stuff to promote Serenity, then in the evening with friends(one of them didnt get a ticket as the show sold out, so there was this mass movement of Firefly fans and people in hats and dressed western trying to find him a ticket...he didnt find one). Me and my friends all ended up singing the Ballad of Jayne, got applause from EVERYONE in the theatre. Enjoyed it a second time, and then saw it a third time with my friend since he missed it. Probably the easiest 2 hour long movie to watch, good action, very Whedon-esque humor. Lived up to my expectations, and not many movies usually live up to expectations(Star Wars prequels come to mind).

To those of you who have seen it and are fans of the series, what are your thoughts? Are any of you planning on seeing it?

2. Just got back from seeing it. Very very cool movie!!

Potential spoiler, if you haven't seen the movie already then read no further:

I'm still wondering why at the end of the movie the captain didn't shoot the assassin in the head rather than his chest, which he already knew was protected by body armor...

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Because he didn't want to kill him...as evidenced by his later actions.

I saw, and liked it, but I wasn't blown away. I came in with a fresh mind having never seen Firefly in the first place. It was a fun film, the dialog and humor are great, but its not anything I would consider truly mindblowing. The "western in space" concept has been done in other movies, as well as animated films and video games.

Personally I could have gone with more action and a little less editorializing about how its time to take a stand etc.

But it was cool, I wouldn't see it in a theatre again, but I'd watch it on DVD.

4. Considering the movie was made mostly for Firefly fans, Im not surprised it wasn't truly mindblowing for non-fans. We finally got to see where Reavers come from(I would've liked to have seen more about the Reavers), get to see how River escapes(wasn't completely established in the series) and what is up with her.

From the series I was wanting to find out more about Shephard Book, which didn't happen. The repeated viewings was more about hanging out with other fans than actually watching the movie, hence the singing.

And if you liked the humour in the movie, the series has more of the same humour, a better score and is quite enjoyable.

**Spoiler**

Why did they have to kill off Wash?! He was a fun loving pascifist who played with dinosaurs(for those of you who havent seen the series, thats why the dinosaurs are on the bridge).

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Because they had to kill someone and he's the least photogenic actor in teh crew? Ugly people die first in movies.

6. But everyone loves Wash. I was thinking if they were going to kill someone off, it was going to be Jayne(he's my favourite character, don't ask why because it baffles even me) trying to protect Simon and River...for the sole reason that he is notorious for trying to get rid of them. As witnessed in the episode Ariel where he turned on them and tried to get a reward from the Alliance. Except he in turn got backstabbed. So although I would've been sad to see him go, I was ready for it. But Wash? Damn, I knew Joss liked to have casualties in his shows/movies...but...I guess Wash was the least expected character to die hence why it happened. And brought on a lot of tension when the other characters started getting shot up.

I know you haven't seen the show, but after watching the movie are you willing to give the show a chance?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I saw the show, and the movie, good stuff.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Interesting this thread would pop up. I just bought the DVD of the movie, without having ever seen the show or the movie. I watched the movie twice in 36 hours. It's great.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

If you haven't seen the show, you owe it to yourself to check out the entire 14 hour run. I enjoyed the movie, but it pales in comparison to the tv show. I'm certainly not pining away for the show like some people, but I certainly got hooked on the characters, and story.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool. I bought the Firefly DVD season after the DVD, well worth it IMO. It really fills out the story.
    :bassist:

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    never saw the series.

saw the movie.

didn't really like it. too fake and dramatic.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Loved the series, especially the later episodes when the cast were starting to really 'get it'. 'Objects in Space' is one of the best hours of TV I've seen in a long time.

The movie is good, but not amazing...I liked the fact that we get to see the girl kick some ass and any time you can see Jayne forment mutany is a winner in my book. I'd love to see a Shepard spin off, or maybe a 'pre-que;' of the civil war that culminated in the battle of Serenity.

13. Whenever I see your handle I try to figure out if you are "heroin-credible" or "hero-incredible". Now I see a thread entitled "Serenity" and I assume you are going to discuss the virtues of kicking the habit and staying off heroin. When I read your post I had no idea what you were writing about. After reading the responses I understand that this is a movie based on some book, comic or game (I'm not really sure which). I guess I count as one who is not a Browncoat. I assume that this is a younger generation phenomenon.

I hope that the name "Browncoat" for fans is only a coincidence with the Nazi "Brownshirts", officially known as the Sturm Abteilung (SA), or "storm troopers" who were a private army of hooligans and thugs originally organized by Hitler and Ernst Roehm to terrorize and murder their opponents within the Nazi Party and later within Germany, Austria and the occupied countries. As one of the older members of the forum, it does engender a queezy feeling though.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Aaron, you're referencing the wrong war. Serenity is a sci-fi film and series...that's basically a western in outerspace. True to the western genre, it takes place 'post civil war'...in this case the civil war isn't Blue vs. Grey as the US was, but the losers (fighting against the 'union') wear a uniform that is identified by their 'Brown Coats'. In this case the 'Union' is is a huge strange conglomeration of US/China governement/multinational(and global)/corporation. Characters move between an odd combination of psudo-western/chinese slang.

It is interesting to note that since the series was pretty low budget, they used uniforms left over from the film version of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, which DID use Nazi imagery to identify with the 'home' army (as Heinlein DID in the original book, to show how easy it is for any country to decend into a facist state if not careful).

The main character is one of the few remaining 'survivors' of the BIG end battle of 'Serenity' where most on the battle field have either been slaughtered or starved to death. He's become an outlaw and still wears his 'Brown Coat' to show his 'rebellious' stance against the trans-planetary government. He names his spaceship "Serenity" both in reference to the battle AND the sense of inner calm and acceptance. The name of the series was "Firefly", which is the model of the ship.

15. Huge Serenity/Firefly fan here. IMO it's one of the best SciFi worlds to come about in years. Fox canning it pissed me off, especially because they now sell the best-selling DVD sets on the "Fox" shelf at best buy alongside family guy and futurama. Such moochers.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sounds complicated. Anyone famous in the movie?

-Mike

17. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    NOW!

18. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Excellent series and teh movie was quite good also. I'm definitely a fan.

For those who have never seen the series, but would like to see what it's all about, the Sci-Fi network was running it on Fridays at 7:00 sometimes. At least they were. It wasn't on this past friday, so they may have changed things around again. I did catch about 8 or 9 episodes in a row a couple of weeks ago when they did an all day "chain reaction" of the series. ;)

Have Fun!

19. Thanks for bringing me somewhat up to date, BurningSkies. Since I don't have TV reception, nor cable, where I live I can really get lost in discussions of current cultural phenomena. I asked my youngest son who is usually quite knowledgeable about the latest game, music and film fads and he didn't know anything about it either.

On a day of remembrance for one of the few deserving recipients of the award for Peace made by the Nobel committee I wonder why human beings typically see the struggle of good and evil as an externalized one of Cowboys and Indians. A deeply religious Turkish friend explained to me a few years ago that “jihad” is the internal struggle of good versus evil. She told me that the politicization of the concept was essentially blasphemy. Whether we depict the struggle as Beowulf versus Grendel, or Jesus in the wilderness versus Satan, or Harry Potter versus Voldemort we tend to avoid consideration of the internal struggle to do good and forswear evil. But it is awareness of this internal struggle that separates the Torquemadas of this world from Santa Teresa de Jesús and San Juan de la Cruz or Milosevic and Pinochet from Dr. King.

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I too lack cable TV! I have about 4 channels that sort-of come in...luckily, I work and live in an area with lots of students! I decided that cable internet would be more valuable than TV, so my money goes to a fast connection.

People like the ease of the binary of good/evil. It's something that we've grown up with for centuries in the western society and its deeply ingrained in our religious culture too. I personally find the Hindu model to be more realistic, one where human nature is recognized to be a blend of all different drives and desires which are not good nor evil. It also recognizes the worthiness of trancending the more base physical and selfish aspects for those of selflessness.The attainment of higher spirituality is a long process of gradual self awareness and slow development. Not surprising, considering it's connection to Buddhist thought.

On the other hand, sometimes it's fun to buy into a few hours of guys with big guns fighting cartoonish bad guys. And don't forget spaceships, an a bit of cheesy dialogue.

Seriously, the guys who made Serenity wanted to point out how easy it is for something that's intrinsically good intentioned (the government) can slide over into evil by overreaching. The 'main villian' in the film truely believes he's doing something good and in the end he has that illusion stripped from him, leaving him without purpose or meaning.