Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Jan 28, 2003.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Im trying to find out some info about my guitarists fender strat. He bought it second hand for £250 and the bloke who sold it to him said it was origionally £800. we both think its a standard strat, making it about £400 new (so still a good buy for £250, given the excellent condition) but just thought I would post the serial number incase you lot knew otherwise?
    The headstock is the same as a standard strat, but could it possibly be a re-issue or a classic or something?

The number is: MN4136357

I know MN means mexican, but they do some re-issues in mexico.

Thanks for any help!!

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Go to:
    www.mrgearhead.com

Look under "FAQ's" you should find it there.

Are you sure it's Mexican? - it should say so on the Headstock.

3. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 25, 2002
    Hi, i'm the chris' guitarist, it's my guitar. Yeh we already know it's a '94 Mexican guitar, but i'm tryingt to find out the actual model of it. Most sites just have dating but i'm looking for more detail. I've played mexican standard strats in shops and this one just plays and feels much better and i was told it was bought for £800. Unless they just made mexican strats better back in '94.

Thanx, i would ask a guitar forum but there anren't any that are anywhere near as good as this

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you guys could post pictures of the headstock, that would be very helpful. IIRC, in '94 the Standard Strat was the top of the MIM line. I beleive they also made a few cheaper Squier models.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Is the bridge the standard type or the vintage type? Does it have one or two string trees?

Fender made a Tex Mex Strat which was the top of the line MIM (I had a 96 one) whcih had 'vintage' hardware and hot pups. It could be one of those.

6. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 25, 2002
    What do u mean 'string trees'?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

8. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 25, 2002
    What do u mean 'string trees'?

9. Bruce Lindfield

I have this strange feeling of deja vu,again!! ;)

10. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 25, 2002
    Here's a picture of the headstock:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Get thee to the FDP !!

We're all bassists!! ;)

12. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 25, 2002
    heres the bridge:

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    looks just like a standard to me. Ceramic pickups, just standard MIM strat

14. Tuka

Tuka

Aug 25, 2002
    Yeh i thought it was, it just feels so much better than the others i've played. Ah well, thanx

15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "Standard" it might be, but they are ALL American components, just the final assembly done in Mexico.
    So, all in all, 250 quid seems like a bargain!

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It has one string tree (ie the thing on the headstock that holds the strings) and a vintage bridge. The vintage ones have 6 bolts the standard ones have two. I would say that it's a Tex Mex Strat and the price you paid is a good one, especially if it plays/sounds nice.

Mass produced instruments vary in quality. It looks like you got a good one.

17. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Lots of helpful answers.. Now he just needs to play it properly and all should be sorted.

I will try and post some mp3s of our band 'Chris, the crap band and friends' or simply 'crap' for short.

Its interesting how nearly all the other forums me and dan have looked at in search of like minded players are actually useless, just full of people bragging about how they are the best at whatever they play..

Three cheers for talkbass!! 'HIP HIP'-