Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serial numbers and year they where built

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy B., Aug 23, 2004.

1. Hi everybody. Can anyone redirect me to a site or other source where you can link the serial number of your bass to the year the bass was built? I own several basses and because I bought most of them second hand I don't know their year of birth. Thanks a lot!

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Gibson and Fender are some of the few companies that you can do this with. I know Gibson has a hotline to call and they can tell you all kinds of cool things based on serial number. Im sure Fender has the same type of deal.

Other than that, you could call the luthier and probably get info, but dont think is a place online for multiple makes and models that you could use.

Could you be more specific about what basses your interested in?

3. Hi Juneau, I am interested in the following basses:
    - Cort Artisan 5BFL, fretless, 5 string, active, ser.no. 00030249
    - Squire Jazz Bass, Silver Series, fretless, 4 string, passive, ser.no. L038511
    - Fender Jazz Bass, fretted, 5 string, passive, ser.no. MN8161499
    - Ibanez ATK 300, fretted, 4 string, active, ser.no. FC5110734
    - Ibanez ATK 305, fretted, 5 string, active, ser.no. FC5112375

The Squire bass is the one I'm most interested in.

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    According to this:

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/gui****ater.html

Looks like the squier is somewhere between 1963 and 1965, but also looks like you have one more digit than what that site shows. They have a hotline you can call to get more detailed info.

"Q. "If I give you the serial number, can you tell me what year and model my Squier guitar/bass is?"
    A. While we may not be able to tell you the exact model of your older Squier from the serial number, we may be able to give you an approximate date of production. If you contact our Consumer Relations Department at 480-596-7195 a representative will try to provide you with some background on your Squier instrument. *Please note that records on the imported Squier instruments are somewhat sketchy and dating them can sometimes be a challenge."

I couldnt find the Jazz serial number scheme there, but thats where Fender's site links too so Id suggest giving them a call.

As for the Ibanez's:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/reference/dating.htm

Again, looks like your Ibanez werent made in Japan, and Im not sure if you will be able to date them or not. Perhaps a call to Ibanez might help you out there too.

For Cort:

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/cort.html

5. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Anything like that on Warwicks?

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  7. Your Fender is definitely a '98 and your Squier (assuming it's a Japanese one) is a '91-92. If not, I can't tell you the Squier's date. Let me know it it says Crafted in Japan or something comparable on it.

8. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    Thanks for posting that Duck's Deluxe site... according to it, my P-Bass is actually 2 years older than I thought it was... I didn't even know until now that it was used when I got it.

9. Great Juneau! Thanks for all the info!