1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Serial/parallel + BVT w/ only single DPDT?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DrVenkman, Oct 21, 2010.

1. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I've got a Squier CV Jazz, and I like the idea of both the serial/parallel mod and the change from VVT to BVT. I'd like to have the best of both worlds - in parallel mode you have BVT, flip the switch and you're in series mode and the blender is basically disengaged. And I'd like to do that using a push-pull pot to replace an existing pot so I don't have to drill a hole for another switch.

The problem is to really flip between these two modes takes a 3-pole DT switch, and all the push-pull pots I can find are only 2-pole. However I think I've got an alternative that gets me almost there.

I didn't know exactly how to show the blender pot - it's the two variable resistors right next to each other on the left.

The drawback I see is that in some settings the blender pot essentially acts as a second volume control when you switch to series mode. Provided I can live with that, anybody see any other drawbacks?

I also left the blender pot ungrounded, based on a tip posted here by another user. Any thoughts on that?

Attached Files:

• Jz1.
      Jz1.jpg
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  2. That setup works fine, but the blend pot becomes a volume.
    It's usually just easier to add a mini toggle 3PDT switch than to have to deal with the blend pot's setting in series mode.

FWIW, you can wire the wiper terminal of your master volume to the output rather than the input, since there is only one volume pot. This will prevent the variable impedance loading effect against the pickups when the volume is adjusted.

3. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    The 3PDT would be easier, I'm just being unreasonable about not having to put another hole in my control plate.

Thanks for the tip on running the wiper on the volume to the output. What do you think of not grounding the blend pot?

4. I've never tried it, but apparently a few members here think it works much better with a minimal amount of resistive loading against the circuit, and a smoother blend from neck to bridge.

Why not stack the volume and tone controls so you can do volume/tone, blend, series/parallel mini toggle, output jack?

5. DrVenkman

DrVenkman

Jan 22, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Erm, because I'm an idiot and never thought of that?