Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Serial/Parallel/SC switches on GL2500 Tribute

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gillento, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi,

I have been searching the forum, but I can't find any direct help.

I want to modd my GL 2500 Tribute.
    I want to be able to switch the coils of both PUs independent from another to Serial, Parallel and Single Coil.
    (for example: neck SC, bridge Serial...)
    This should then be mixed by a balance pot.

I am aware that I need two 3way switches and a balance pot.
    How should I wire the leads (using the outer coils in SC mode).
    Should the balance be 250 or 500 kohms?

I have been searching the GL forum at the Dudepit,too, but I did not find anything useful for my purpose and skills.

I have read the suggestions to leave the wiring alone, but I like this kind of settings on my Fender Roscoe Beck, so I would like to try them on the GL

Thanks for any help

2. on the DiMarzio site there is a diagram of how to wire Serial/Single Coil/Parallel, you need 4 conductor cables from the pups, and if you can figure out what the wires on the dimarzio site correspond to on your pickups, it should help :)

http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

Hope that helps a bit

- Will

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    At the G&L area at the Dudepit there is a link in the HowTo area on the single coil mod using a 4PDT on-on-on switch. It does not give you the independent control you desire, but if you understand basic electronics, you can get the approach from this document and do it with a pair of DPDT switches.

Sounds like a good plan to use a balance. If you want to get close to the same loading as the stock configuration, I would use a 500K volume and a 500K balance or possibly a 1Meg volume. You could rewire the bass and treble with a concentric 500K pair. Running them with 500K pots would be barely a noticable change relative to the 250K treble and 1Meg bass that come stock. Your treble pot would take more turn to get the equivalent treble cut and your bass cut pot would only give you the first half of the stock pots range (which is all you ever need anyway).

You could also throw in a series / parallel switch under the volume pot so you could get the two pickup positions in series (they are always in parallel). I think running a L2K single coil with the two single coils in series would be a great sound. I would do it myself but I only have a single pickup G&L at this point (Climax).

Dave

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Thanks to both of you.

@ DavePlaysBass:
    I tried your SC/Serial modification (no Parallel sound).
    But I must admit, I am not able to translate any schematic into real life wiring. Whereas I was able to replicate your advice on cutting the cap between the bass pot and the ground.

I may have more luck with the DiMarzio instructions.

Thanks a lot

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Sounds like you may have gotten something backwards or mis wired. If I ever buy another L2K I will take pictures of what to do.

The Dimarzio schematic will get you in the ball park, but will not get you the whole way without some knowledge of the circuit. It is a two position mod what will give you series and parallel.

Given the level of customization you are going for, I would suggest finding a guitar tech to wire it up for you. It would not be difficult for a good tech to be able to do exactly what you want.

Curious what your thoughts are on cutting the cap on the bass pot. Did you notice much difference?

Dave

6. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Yeah, I have noticed some difference in the high end. It adds a bit of "Stingray" sizzle, also found in the parallel setting. I like it better. It sounds as if someone took away a curtain. But this was over some headphones and my desktop KRK speakers.
    I am curious how this translates over the amp in a band setting.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I noticed the same thing. Another guy I talked to said he noticed no difference. When I sold mine I put the cap back in place. My Climax does not have the cap. I love the sound of my Climax. It is more "pure" than the stock L2K wiring in it does not have this cap, or the series caps, or the loading of a second pickup.

Dave

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can't help you on how to do it, but I think the results would be really cool! For my taste, you could also forget about the onboard preamp altogether. Talk about a set of pickups that doesn't need a pre!