Series 10...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noise, Oct 23, 2000.

1. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hello! I've been spying on TalkBass for a week or so now, so I figure its time to finally get involved. A long long time ago in a galaxy far away, I was something like 14 years old and decided I wanted to play bass guitar. For some unexplained reason, my father thought about this and decided it was actually a good idea, so he took me out to some store and bought me a bass, practice amp, and instruction book. (Hmmm, I remember that rainy day...)

Unfortunately for the bass, fortunately for my parent's ears, and unfortunately for their money spent, school work and drama classes took up my time and I never learned to play the durn'ed thing.

Fastforward to today, the evil empire has blown up poor Alderon... oh, wait, nevermind. I occasionally find that I have spare time on my hands, and have picked up the bass again. It still has three original strings (this should tell you how little it got played), but the pots are scratchy as all get-out. Are these easy to replace? I have some general soldering skills but know nothing about guitar repair. I live in Berkeley, CA-- I assume Subway Guitars is the best place to go-- any other recommendations?

About the bass itself-- its heavy, bulky, generally difficult to play, but its mine and for some god-awful reason I can't fathom I love it. I wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone. Does anyone know anything much of interest about Series 10 basses? Thanks!

2. I am a beginner, and i dont really know much bout the electronics, but i was told the pots can be cleaned instead of replaced all toghter, although i really am not sure...but definitely take it to the shop and dont try it urself.. dont wanna screw anything up.. :p
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey, Noise. Series 10 basses have never been something to shout or write home about. I'm sure that if you take your bass to Subway, Fat Dog will try to get you to buy one of his "Subraze" basses or something. Nothing against F.D. and his product. They'll definitely be better than the Series 10 but better basses can be had for less money. I think he has a great return policy and is a great example of a well-run small business. If you're serious about getting into bass again, I'd seriously consider getting something better.

Will C.:cool: