Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series and Parallel Wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mzungu, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Hi, I've got two old tube amp heads, one is 4 & 8 ohms and the other is 8 & 16 ohms switchable. I want to have the flexibility to use both of them to drive my two 8 ohm 15" cabinets. Of course the 4 ohm head will work no problem, but I'm wondering if there is a way to wire the cabinets which will allow me to hook them up in series to get a 16 ohm load as well which will allow me to use them in parallel for a 4 ohm load. I think I can if I leave the bottom cab wired the way it is and install a third 1/4" jack on the top cab(both cabs are the same) which will let me dedicate two jacks on the top cab to the series wiring and leave one jack to keep wired as parallel. This is probably confusing without a diagram. Anyway has anybody done this? Can it be done? Any advice before I burn my fingers with a soldering iron? Thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm not certain I understand your question. I think you are saying that you have two 1x15 cabs, each 8 ohms? If that is so, then you have a 4 ohm load when you use them both plugged into one amp, regardless of whether you use two cables from the amp, or one cable from the amp, then another cable from speaker to speaker.

If you want a 16 ohm load, you don't rewire the jacks, you create a special daisy-chain cable that "Y"'s out to each cab for a 16 ohm total load.

You cannot do a series/parallel scenario with only two 1x15 cabs.

I hope you are not suggesting running both amps to both cabs at the same time, but your original post is not clear.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes it can be done.

google searches will bring you a ton of diagrams

either you make a special wire to daisy chain the 2 8 ohm cabs together in series using their parallel input jacks OR you modify BOTH cabs with a second set of Series outputs (you ned to modify both, not just one.

4. Thanks for the replies. I want the ability to use both 8 ohm 1X15 cabinets together in series or parallel to cover 16 ohm and 4 ohm loads depending on which amp head I use. Anyway, I did find a diagram and it confirms that I can rewire the cabs to make it work. Thanks again for the feedback.