1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series/kill/parallel switch???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nedvigbendeguz, Feb 29, 2020.

1. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    Hi there Low end Lovers!

I'm in the middle of modding my jazz bass. I want to add a 3 way toggle switch. 1st position: parallel 2nd: kill 3rd: series
    How should i wire it? Or is it even possible? :D
    I've only found kill switch and series/parallel diagrams separately...
    I have a 3 way on-on-on switch. Is it the right one?

I really hope you know the answer!
    All the best!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    @rojo412
    @BassmanPaul
    @Passinwind

Sure it can be done. Maybe one of these guys would know the switch. Then you just do the series/parallel diagram for two positions and the kill switch in the third.

3. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    It's a 6 pole DPDT switch. I could figure out the series/parallel part. But as far as I understand a kill switch should ground all signals. And I couldn't add this to the formula.. :D

4. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    zontar and redstrand like this.
  5. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I am assuming you are keeping a volume/volume/tone situation and planning on wiring that to the switch from the two volume controls. Note that when in series, the pickups won't turn down the same way they used to.

The switch should work.

They also make rotary switches. I would look for one of those (if it would fit in my body) personally so I could keep the aesthetic of knobs over switches and maybe not drill or cut new holes.
    29815d9e-3c1e-4ab0-9842-793b832f7d95_1.d13e23402e4ef7b7ed8df2481293768d.jpg

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive Suspended

In my mind one of the beautiful things about a Jazz is the bridge pickup soloed. Doing as you suggest will not allow either pickup to be used alone.

Using a rotary switch in place of the tone control using the same knob would be ascetically pleasing without drilling the control plate. In your place I would search Ebay for a replacement wired plate. When I built a Jazz clone for some kids I got two fully wired plates for 99 cents each and they paid the shipping!. They worked flawlessly. Keep the original plate for when you eventually sell the bass.

How noisy the switch will be in operation is another question.

BLDavis likes this.
  7. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    Yes, I'm keeping the vol vol tone situation.
    And I don't worry about the aesthetics, because I'm routing a new control cavity from the back, and will not have control plate. I want to able to use it as a normal jazz bass. The image you sent doesn't allow it. So when parallel the pickups should have their own vol pot and in series one of the pots will go main vol.
    If i don't find a solution I will go with a simple series/parallel, but I'll need a normal on-on switch for that.

8. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    As far as I understand a kill switch should ground all signals. And I couldn't find any solution for it. Because I'm just switching one of the pickups hot signal to either its own pot, or the other pickups ground or to ground. And I can't ground the other pickup. Probably I thought of something impossible... :D

9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    It's not impossible. You have a 3 position switch. In the kill position, just connect both pickups to ground. You could for example do that with the output hot lead if you wanted.

10. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    Could you draw it please?

11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    upload_2020-3-2_10-40-2.png
    The 2nd position is the kill position because that's what you were requesting. Also, the connection between the two lugs is probably unnecessary since the output is being grounded in position 2 (pickup 2 just has a broken circuit not connected to the output without it).

12. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    But my switch has only six poles! What type of switch did u draw? Its ok if I need to buy a new one I just want to know what I need. :D
    Is it enough to break the circuit?

13. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    A 3 position switch (2P3T). 1st set of lugs are common, 2nd lugs are position 1, 3rd lugs are position 2, 4th lugs are position 3.

You do not have a 6 pole switch. You have a switch with 6 lugs.

14. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Are you using something like a telecaster blade switch?? Because that is the wrong type of switch entirely.

15. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    I'm using something like this. It has only 6 lugs.
    upload_2020-3-2_16-57-46.png

16. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I drew both grounded, but I was just saying the output would be grounded without the extra connection so I don't think there would be any sound.

17. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    If that has three positions, the middle position will be a connect all of the lugs on the pole. It won't work even for series parallel switching.

I'm not endorsing this site, this is just the first one I saw on Google.
    2P3T ON-ON-ON TOGGLE SWITCH, LOCKING-TYPE

18. nedvigbendeguz

nedvigbendeguz

Mar 26, 2018
    I'm not much of an electrician. What does it mean? How does it work?

Why my switch won't work?

If I'm giving up the kill switch stuff I'd use an On-On just like this, right?
    IMG_20200302_172145_818.jpg

19. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    [​IMG]

Depending on the type of DPDT on-on-on switch, you should be able to use this scheme with no modification.

If your DPDT switch connects the center terminal to both sets of outer lugs in the middle position, (this could be confirmed with an ohm meter) the middle position will connect all signals to ground. There's your killswitch.

20. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    If I read that correct, the neck pickup is only grounded when the bridge volume is turned all the way up.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020