Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series Mod for my Yammy RBX-170 P/J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I've heard great things about the series mod for the Jazz basses. I've also heard that people have done this to PJ's with positive results. So I said, "what the heck" and bought a push/pull pot from guitarpartsresource.com and I installed it last night.

For $10 worth of hardware and 1 hour worth of soldering, I am more than pleased with the results…

For those who don't already know what I am talking about. "Series" is the J bridge pickup feeding in series through the P neck pickup so that both pickups effectively act as a single pickup.

My take on the sound is this. The overall "character" of the bass is unchanged. The instrument doesn't sound like a different bass or anything. But the sound is a bit "tighter" and "punchier" a bit more "harmonically complex" if you will. The bass response is enhanced and I can play the instrument with the tone control totally open without it sounding "scratchy".

I'd describe the sound is very close to that of the P-pup soloed…but with the P pup soloed, I have to roll off the highs a tad to get that "punch" and hence it gets to sounding a wee bit muddy. When I pull the knob (go to series mode), none of this is necessary.

I still like the original mode for slapping, because I can dial in more bridge…but for most other classic "P bass" type tones, I'm going to be using it in series mode, for sure.

Anyone else done this on a PJ? What are your experiences?

2. bump...

hmmmm...I'd be really surprised if noone's done this on a PJ.

For a $10 push-pull pot and a little bit of solder, its definitely a worthwhile trick to have in the bag.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Never tried it. My only PJ bass is in parts whilst I refinish it, so I'll give it a try when it goes back together.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I 've got a project p/j using a SX lefty 75' neck,generic body, a fernandes p and I've tried a carvin j99 and a yamaha j from a bb405. Trying various combos of switching just by direct wiring instead of the switch has not gotten my mojo working. I've got a few other pups to try but I'd have to steal them from other basses.

5. Hello Morris, IL...we have a fellow here from Morris...he's on secondment here from the Orica Seneca Ammonium Nitrate plant...

small world...

how do you find your Yammy BB405? My opinion on the bass is that it is GREAT! I love the feel and it really has a nice growl with that bridge pup kickin... I wasn't too thrilled with the neck pup soloed...but I'd still like to own one of those babies...

If I ever go 5 string...it may be my choice...

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My main bass for the last 10 years has been a PJ with a series/parallel switch. Works fine for me.

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I haven't tried it with the original pups as I recently bought it from TB'r 'Vic' this past month and it came with bartolini nj5's. I'm still diggin' my Carvin lb70p vs the bb405. It's got better tone and it's dead quiet.

8. An update on my series mod...first off, I'm LOVING it...it really gives me a tone that is fatter than anything I could dial in with the classic V/V/T PJ configuration....

Like I said before, I still prefer the original mode for slap...

I played my bass for my wife last night and she said that she much preferred the series tone and that it would fit in well with a band...she has a pretty good ear for these things even though she isn't a musician...

anyway...I digress...the real reason I am posting again is because I noticed in series mode that my tone control has a serious effect on the volume...only in series mode, mind you...in normal mode, the effect is minimal...

when I play it with tone wide open...is sounds clean and BIG and fat...and when I play it with the highs rolled off...it still sounds clean (not muddy like the P-pup soloed), but it sounds more bassy (as expected), but "little"...

anyone experiencing these issues with their series mod...be it a JJ or a PJ bass???