Series Mod for Passive MM Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flexo, Jul 5, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I want to give the series mod a go on my OLP MM2 bass. Presently it has 3 knobs that are wired volume(neck coil), volume(bridge coil), and tone. Frankly the volume knobs don't do whole lot individually since the coils are right next to each other.
    i also want to keep the current knob configuration so i would be getting a push-pull pot. As i understand it, that will mean i lose control of each individual volume control in series mode. If this is correct, what controls would i have in series mode? Would it be master volume and tone? What would the third knob do?

I apologise since i'm new to the series mod and i'm not sure how much i can apply based on the "jazz bass series mod" to what i am doing. Any help/info would be much appreciated!

As a last thing, i read a pickup review (for an MM style pickup) recently that said that "series operation is the traditional stingray sound". Is this true or crap?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, the neck vol would now control both coils. The bridge vol would have no effect.
    The latter, parallel is the default stingray wiring.