Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

series mod w/ dimarzio ultra jazz.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jim primate, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

anyone here done the series mod to a j-bass loaded with the dimarzio ultra jazzes? how would you describe the sound of it? muddy, bright, huge? the overdriven sound of it?

2. I will hopefully be able to tell you soon enough. I am have a control plate with a S-1 series button to install with my Ultra Jazz set. I also wonder how the mod will effect the Ultra Jazz sound?

Any help on how to wire this properly? I do some very limited soldering, but will likely send this to the pros. I would still like to know how a Fender control plate w/ S-1 needs to be wired to achieve the series/parrallel switching.

3. jim primate

there's posts all over of the schematic, do a search, one will pop up in some topic.

4. I have been digging around and can't find any info on how to wire the Fender (USA) control plate w/ S-1 switch pots specifically. Would it be any different than the push/pull method?

Also, If memory serves, when I put the Ultra Jazz in they had more wires than the stock pickup I replaced. Red wire went to the leg of the pots, green wire went to back of pots. The black and white wires went together. Does this have something to do with the "dummy" p/u that allows for the hum canceling effect?

I will look at the control panel and hand written wiring diagram from the previous owner when I get it to see if it makes sense.

Thanks.

5. jim primate

yeah, something like that.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't seen the s-1 pot, but I can't imagine it'd be any different.
    No, it's you running the coils in series when those wires are joined.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried this briefly on an Geddy Lee Jazz. Generally I've found the series sound on a J bass to work best when used with a pick. It gets you a P-like sound, not an exact P sound but a good approximation. Also, as a general note - You get less highs when in series.