Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series or Parallel?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Feb 16, 2004.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Ok guys, I just got my Bartolini MMC Replacement for my Stingray and am in dire need to know what I have to do besides the standard wire swap. I have the 3 Band EQ and wish to do a simple swap. I have experience with electronics on a lot of basses but have yet to come across a Stingray. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Andy

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I am putting in a Bartolini pickup into my Stingray and was curious to know if anyone knew if Flea's pickups in his Modulus are wired in parallel or series mode? And also what is everyones opinion on these two? Thanks, Andy

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    If I had to guess I'd say Parallel becuase that's the standard for Stingrays. Someone else probably knows for sure.

Another option would be to add a mini-switch for both and just keep it in the cavity as opposed to drilling it.

5. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Ok, well I just got my Bartolini PU for my Stingray and am looking for suggestions on which wiring to do. I would love to be able to dial in a "Flea-like" tone if possible. The papers say that the series has a better midrange and that the parallel has 50% less output but more of a treble sound? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    This is the third thread you've started on this same topic!

I said it before in one of the other threads you started on this, but a large part of the sound of a stingray is a humbucker wired in parallel. So, if you want a stingray sound that's the way to go. A series sound does give you more output and more midrange, and a good cutting sound, but it's not the classic stingray sound.

If possible, use a volume pot with push/pull switch to switch between series/parallel wiring - the bart wiring diagram shows you how to do this. This'll give you a lot more versatility

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Lo and behold, the three threads you made on the same/similar subject have been merged.

I would also remind you that series/parallel topic has been discussed here many times before.

A good search is in order!

8. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Why not try both way and see which way you like it best?
    I also agree with adding the switch and have it in the cavity to be able to try either way.
    Darrin

9. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Mine was wired with a switch that goes between parallel and single coil, hum cancelled with the phantom coil. (I have the MME triple coil version). I wouldn't be too concerned with how Flea's is done. They're probably custom wound anyway. I doubt if it's the stock Bartolini you or me have.

Dave

10. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Stingrays are definitely stock wired in parallel. I also second the idea of putting in a switch for series and parallel. Go to radio shack, buy a DPDT (On-On) switch for $4, follow the directions on the bartolini wiring instructions, drill a hole in the control cavity plate and their you go. A good mod for very cheap to make the stingray more versatile.

11. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thanks guys for all the help. And sorry about all the different topis, I was just in a hurry to get an answer. I think I'm going to go ahead and wire both series and parallel and put a switch in the cavity. If anyone knows of any pictures of this being done that would be a tremendous help. Thanks again!