Series parallel and dual volumes?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, Mar 25, 2018.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have seen a number of passive MM basses that feature VVT. Is such a set up also usable with a switch to swap the pickups from series to parallel?

To avoid one volume becoming inactive, is volume, blend, tone, and a series/parallel switch a viable option, with the blend becoming inactive when series is engaged?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    When you switch to parallel, you lose independent volume control, sorry, no good way around it. Or in VBT, blend becomes useless. Nature of the beast.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You can do it, but only as a series/parallel for each pickup.
    Each volume pot would be a push/pull for series/parallel operation of the pickup it controls, but
    the overall scheme would be parallel (between the pickups)

bholder likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yup, when you put pickups in series, you lose individual volume control. One volume controls one pickup, the other controls both, not so useful. Or if a blend, half works right, the other half doesn't.

5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Do you mean switch to series? I have a couple if jazz basses set up with series/parallel

6. Killed_by_Death

You can wire them in series with individual volume controls, but then you can't switch them back to parallel.
    It would be overkill to wire 4 coils (two humbucker pickups) in series.

I did it on my Rickenbacker 4004, but if I had it to do over again I'd have wired it with push/pulls just like I described.

7. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'm thinking MM passive basses, so a single pickup.

8. Killed_by_Death

Having individual volume controls on each coil of a humbucker is pretty useless.
    You'd get better timbre variations with the series/parallel switch & one volume, which could be a accomplished with a push/pull volume pot.

add, here's the drawing for that:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/1H_1V_1TppSP.pdf

note: this one is using the treble cut pot for the push/pull

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021