1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Series/Parallel and tone knob question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by UnDoNe, Apr 12, 2017.

1. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    Hi all,

I'm putting together a bitsa Jazz, which will have a push/pull tone pot. I'm wanting to have it for series/parallel options.

Firstly, I'm wanting to know if I can have the tone pot for this purpose (or does it need to be on either of the volume pots?), and I also want the downward (push) position to be series. In the diagrams I've seen, it's typically parallel for push and series for pull. How would I do this?

Secondly, the pots won't be attached to a control plate - do I need to be aware of anything for grounding?

Thanks all, appreciate any advice.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yes, the switching part of a push-pull pot is independent of the pot.

Just reverse the wires' position on the top and bottom terminals of the series/parallel switch.

Not sure what you're asking...Ground wires? Yes, ground wires are needed if there's no metal control plate to act as the ground conductor. But 'star grounding' isn't necessary in a bass.

Some unsolicited advice to go with your free answers: Buy and learn to use a multi-meter before starting this project. Also, in series mode, only one volume pot will work.

UnDoNe likes this.
  3. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    Thanks very much, Crater. Appreciate your help.

Re: grounding. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I meant :laugh: Just wasn't sure if I needed to look out for anything with me not using a control plate on the bass.

Thanks again.