series/parallel/coil tap wiring question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L-1329, Aug 21, 2005.

1. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Is this possible? I have a Warmoth on the way that is going to get Nord dual coil pickups and an Aguillar OBP3 preamp. What I am thinking, if it can be done, is to have one three way switch for each pickup that could go from parallel to series to single coil. Assuming this is possible, anyone know where I might find out what type of switches would work and how to wire them in? If it is a factor, the pre will be a volume/ blend type. Appreciate any advice, as always!
  2. hmmmm...had a look at the nordy dual coil (split coil pups)...they use split coil noise cancelling technique (two strings per coil), like that of a P-bass...great idea to maintain a vintage sound, however, you split these pups and you'll get only two strings (so the "coil tap" idea is out)...

If these pups don't have 4 wires coming from them, then you can't do the series/parallel thing either.

The type of pups you want for this type of configuration is a humbucker...on J-pups they're often referred to as "stacked humbuckers" and these would work, the only thing is that they are generally a little deeper than a standard J and may require some routing.
  3. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it's possible. . . call Carey. He's doing something similar right now with Adrian's old amboyna burl NAMM bass. But it's going to be push/pull Aguilar pots rather than a 3-way switch :D
  4. series/parallel would be possible if you have access to each coil...however, looking at Carey's split coil design (side-by-side) coil tapping would not work because you'd only be pulling in two of the 4 strings (of course, if that is what you want, then...)

push-pull pots are an elegant way of doing the switching.
  5. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I am a little confused on why the coil tap would only get some strings, is that the case with the five string dual coils as well? I could live without that feature though. So I need to make sure that they are a four wire pickup in order to use a switch for series/parallel, would any two way switch work? I am going to order these pups from Bluberry Hill Bass, so I will talk to him or Carey to find what is best, but I appreciate the input here so I can better understand the nuts and bolts first.
  6. look at the pics of the pickups on the Nordstrand site, you can navigate there from

in a "stacked coil" design (basically two coils around the same bobbin, but vertically stacked) each coil of wire covers all of the strings. These, therefore can be used in "tapped" or single coil mode.

in a "side-by-side" or "split coil" design, as in the nordies, each coil of wire is around half the pole pieces. and the other coil is counter-wound around the remaining pole pieces. Single coil mode in this arrangement would only get you "half" (in a 5er they're split 2 and 3) the pole pieces.

Get yourself a DPDT (double pole, double throw) on/off/on switch for a series/off/parallel type of configuration.

DPDT on/on/on would get you a series/single/parallel type configuration (but, again, I doublt the "single" would work on the nordies)

Again, this is a strong suspicion, but should be confirmed by the folks at Nordstrand.
  7. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Well. . . that is why I said to talk to Carey. You obviously know a great deal more about the technical aspects of it than I do. I do know however, that the bass has Carey's dual coils in it, it already has a coil tap via a push/pull, and he's installing two more push/pulls for the series/parallel. He said nothing to me about the dual's coil tap being limited in the ways you'd described.
  8. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    It can be done. I actually did this on a recent bass. You'll need a dptt(dual pole, triple throw) switch and you can hook it up like in the series/coil cut/parallel diagram on this page. My humbuckers are wire coded like Duncan humbuckers.
    That should work, and if it doesn't please feel free to contact me so we can do what it takes to get you wired up the way you want.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    WOW!! Is Carey the man?? Yes, he is.

10. Thanks, are definitely the man...

Make sure that the DP3T switch is of the ON/ON/ON configuration...if you go ON/OFF/ON then wiring it this way will give you a series/off/parallel result.

Q: From the photos of your split coil J-pups, it shows the bobbin windings around half of the pole pieces with the next winding next door in a side-by-side configuration (not unlike a P-bass pup)...I'm hazy on how the coil-cut works for all strings in this configuration...Carey could you elaborate?

Just for everyone's information, the Kent Armstrong colour coding looks to be similar, but with the Green and White Colours swapped.
  11. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004

Man, thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I needed to know! I was really hoping this could be done, and I can't wait to get these in the bass. I'm sure I'll have some questions yet, but this makes things much clearer. Thanks again!
  12. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    That would be a big affirmative!