1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series parallel jazz wiring help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tlaubs, Feb 14, 2013.

1. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    I just got a set of bill Lawrence j45 jazz pickups. These are dual coil with 3 wires coming out, 2 for ground and one hot.

Can I wire this on a push pull pot for series parallel switching similar to the seymor Duncan diagram. If so, do I just connect the grounds together as if they were a normal singalong coil?

Thanks

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Hi tlaubs,

that's why they have 3 wires instead of two ...

One of the "two ground wires" is the "real ground wire". Means: This wire has to be connected to GND (housing) for both pickups! This wire has no connection to the coils but only to the housing of the PU to shield it.
    The other "ground wire" is NOT a "real ground wire". Means: This wire is the coil end of the PUs. One of them (the 2 PUs) has to be connected to the housing, the wire from the other PU has to be connected to the switch.

Maybe you know which of the "two ground wires" is the shielding and which is the coil end.
    Otherwise you have to test it with a multimeter. One (the shield) should have no/infinite resistance to the HOT wire, the other (end of coil) has to show a resistance to the HOT wire (8-12k Ohms?).

3. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    So can I use parallel/series wiring and if so would I wiring according to the Seymour Duncan diagram with the "real ground" to the push pull and the enclosure ground somewhere else

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    So that we are talking about the same diagram ...
    http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/jass_bass_sp.pdf

White is the HOT of your Lawrence PUs (coil beginning)
    Black is the COLD of your Lawrence PUs (coil end)
    Not shown is the shielding wire of your Lawrence PUs. They both have to be soldererd to ground ("solder" in the pdf).

5. tlaubs

tlaubs Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2010
    St. Louis
    That makes sense I appreciate the help