1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Series/Parallel Mod for Active Basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan1099, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I own a Marcus Miller four string Jazz Bass, and i was wondering how to install a series/parallel mod. Would the fact that it is active affect this at all? Also, i've heard that the passive on it is not "true" passive, and this causes a thinner sound. How do i rectify this? Any advice, especially step by step instructions, would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The MM pups are passive so it's standard series/parallel. To run it series/parallel through preamp may require some different wiring and I never done it but it can be done.

True passive is also just a matter of wiring. If you go to harmonycentral.com, reviews, basses, fender, MM - there's guy that went to considerable length explaining the by-pass change in the MM specifically. At least I assume it was a true by-pass cause he was pretty excited about the results. If you do it and pull the battery and still get sound, you've probably got a true by-pass.