Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series/parallel mod for dummies

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by OItoTHEbass, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Ive been searching around online for many many hours and havent found anything thats simple enough for me to understand. Im just looking for a simple to use diagram on installing a mini-switch for a series/parallel mod. I have 4-wire DiMarzio DP123 PUPs. Ive found a few pics on here, but like I said, Im not smart enough for those. I know this question is asked a lot but I dont have any real electrical knowledge and all that stuff just goes right over my head. MUCH MUCH appreciation to anyone willing to help.

My main question is:
    Ive seen the words "bare wire" used a few times and Im not sure what they mean by this.

Other than that I just need like a step by step guide

Like I said, Im sorry for the redundant question.

2. one more question, I just went to the DiMarzio website and I understand the stuff a little better, however, since I have 2 of each color wire, what do I do with them?? connect both of each color to the corresponding place on the switch?? also, whats the output 1 and 2? heres where Im at..DiMarzio

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you looking to wire individual pickups in series/parallel? Or the simple master series/parallel?

Do you have soldering experience?

4. master series/paralle. my dad can solder quite well so he says (Im 16). oh BTW, I would take this to a pro but the nearest one that wont charge me $60 is 2 hours away

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There have been several step by step guides on how to do this posted here.

How are the pickups currently wired? The four wires basically let you run in series or parallel at the pickup level. I'd imagine that you have them both wired in series right now, i.e. black and white are soldered together, red goes into the volume/blend pot and green is soldered to back of volume pot right? If that's the case then you can use any of the existing diagrams out there - red is hot, green is ground.

If you look at the mini switch from the back, you have lugs 1 to 6 - 1 being top left, 2 being top right down to 6 on bottom right.

1. Unsolder neck ground from back of neck volume pot
    2. Unsolder bridge hot from bridge volume pot
    3. Solder neck ground to 3 on switch
    4. Solder bridge hot to 4 on switch
    5. Solder a wire from 2 to where the bridge volume hot was
    6. Solder a wire from 1 to where the neck ground was
    7. Connect 5 and 6 using a small wire.

You now have a mini switch for series parallel.

6. wow, thats exactly it, thanks man. my dad is borrowing a pencil soldering iron right now, so after we get that and get moving with this I'll post here if I have any more questions. I doubt I will though, thanks again!

7. Ok, Ive got all my supplies and we're (my dad and I) are about to start working on it. he brought home some wire that he says is good stuff, only thing is it's really thin. Im not sure of the proper name but its the stuff thats little wires covered by some plastic covering. Im not sure of the gauge but its way less than half the size of the wire inside my bass already. its good for up to 120 volts but Im not sure if I should be using this... um, should I?

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I haven't done any wiring work on bass but I know you don't have to worry about high voltage.

9. Im just concerned about... well Im not exactly sure, just seems like I shouldnt be using wires that are smaller in diameter than the originals. I'd say its no more than 1mm thick.. it is copper though... I dunno

EDIT: just made the modification and it sounds great! just to let you know, I have an Essex jbass with DiMarzio Model J's, D'Addrio strings (also have some fender flatwounds), Ibanez Phat Hed OD pedal, DOD eq pedal, and an Ibanez Soundwave 65w amp.. about to buy some new pots too