1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series/parallel on Delano musicman pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cbed, Mar 19, 2009.

1. cbed

cbed

Mar 19, 2009
    I own a Human base OC5 with Delano Musicman style humbuckers hardwired in series mode. I notice that the new version of these basses come with a series/parallel switch standard. I am interested to hear from anyone who owns these pickups whether the parallel mode is useful with these pickups. I am quite familiar with the general differences in tone between parallel and series wiring, but I am wondering how parallel sounds with this particular pickup. I absolutely love the sound of these pickups as they are, but am considering adding the switch to this bass, just to have more options. I tend to play with the bridge pickup soloed about 80% of the time. Thanks

2. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I have a fretted with the switch and a fretless without. Personally, I rarely use the switch on my fretted because my music doesn't really call for it, but it does add a lot of tonal options and I've even been able to replicate a Geddy Lee type Ric tone with it. I say go for it.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    mine has a 3-way switch... Series / Single Coil / Parallel. I use series about 80% of the time.

4. cbed

cbed

Mar 19, 2009
    I have played Ernie Ball Musicman basses in the past and actually greatly preferred them in parallel mode: Deeper lows and clearer highs. I always felt those basses sounded somewhat harsh in series mode. However, the Delanos sound better in series mode than the stock Ernie Ball pickups in any of the modes; they have deep lows and clear highs, but with a more colorful midrange. I was just curious to how these pickups sounded in parallel mode. I am a bit obsessed with constantly tweaking my tone. These are definitely my favorite sounding pickups I have come across in my 26 years of playing.

5. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Keep in mind that in addition to the Delano p-ups, there is a killer Glockenklang pre in the OC5's which greatly adds to the versatility. I've never heard Delano pick ups in any other bass or with another pre, but I'm sure they are equally impressive.

6. teotmb

teotmb

Aug 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a MM-Al in one bass with a 3-way switch (ser/par/single) and had a bass wiht the MM-Fe PU and ser/par switch.

With the MM-Al my prefered settings are single > par > ser, but I guess in a band I would use series mode, because it´s much more aggressive.

With the MM-Fe I liked both settings equalliy.

So imho it´s worth having the option to switch between the different modes. It´s a cheap mod as well (if you can do it yourself).