1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series/parallel question that has not yet been brought up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lanzealot, Oct 17, 2006.

1. I've read all the threads regarding the series/parallel options (took me about three hours and my eyes are bleeding already... 8-O ). But this question has not yet been brought up as far as I know.

What if you have a two humbucker pickup (neck and bridge like a Roscoe Beck Bass) with a Jazz Bass Config (V+V+T)?

and instead of putting two mini-switches for each pickup (series / parallel), I wanted to have just one.

1st position would make the two humbuckers in series (not with each other)
    2nd position would make the two humbuckers in parallel

P.S.
    Another solution that I have in mind is solder the wires from the first pickup to the switch first (mini-switch) and then solder the second pickup to the same switch but I don't if it will have problems in it. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. RockFace

RockFace

Jul 14, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    i might have misunderstood, but it seems to me that you are trying to do something that is impossible. like i said i might have misunderstood, but...

on a bass that has a J/J configuration (two seperate, single-coil, jazz bass style pickups), the pickups can either be used in

1) series - both pickups functioning together as one at the same time

or

2) parallel - each pickup functioning by itself (each has individual volume)

what it seems like you are asking is to series/parallel mod EACH J-style pickup, which doesn't make any sense. you can't put ONE single-coil pickup in series by itself, because it's not working with anything else. a single coil pickups needs another pickup to work in series.

if i am wrong, or i misunderstood, i apologize, but it sounds to me like what you're trying to do is not possible.

rock

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

4. mikevanilla

mikevanilla

Oct 17, 2006
    i am also wondering the same question. i am currently adding a jazz bridge pickup and new p bass pickups to my pbass. i got 5 pods and plan to run a tone knob for each selection on a three way switch. and a volume knob for each pickup. i know it is possible and believe i have it figured it out but if you come across any diagrams or other suggestions let me know and i'll do the same.

hopefully i figure it out. seems like a pain now and might be a pain while playing but the sound is gonna be amazing.

5. yeah, that would be nice....

Rockface: It is possible, I apologize for not trying to make my post simpler. The dimarzio pickups I'm referring to are technically humbuckers even if they look like single coils. They're not stacked though, it's what they call split coil (?)humbuckers.

JazzAd and Rockface:

I already edited the above post to lessen the confusion

6. you will need one of these:
    4PDT Switch.

its basically like having 2 DPDT's controlled by one toggle.

7. ooooh...... so how do you think should I solder it on the bass? thanks!

8. dont solder anything to the bass!!!!
    solder the pickup wires to the switch. and solder the outputs from the switch to your other controls in the appropriate fashion.

google search series/parallel wiring for humbuckers.Stew-Mac can probably help.

just treat each half of the switch (the 6 lugs on the right and the 6 lugs on the left) like individual DPDT switches.

the switch i linked you to may not end up being the right size and also has lugs for soldering it to a PC board, not for soldering loose wires to it. but the function of the switch should be what you are looking for.

9. see... that what happens when you've been reading posts for 3 hours non-stop... :D :D :D

I found another website:
    4dpt

I think the GL L2000 has a 4dpt switch too (this is actually the config that I have in mind, except for the other two switches), can you confirm this?

http://www.kbconsulting.org/images/l-2000/l2k_wiring_diagram.pdf (PDF)

http://www.kbconsulting.org/images/l-2000/l2k_wiring_diagram.jpg (jpeg but may be too small to read)

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
  11. mikevanilla

mikevanilla

Oct 17, 2006
    my new pickups are duncans and the site they give for diagrams is basslines.com good information and diagrams for swithces and pods

12. I have been looking for this thread without knowing it for a year! I really need a TPDT mini-toggle for a wiring scheme for one of my g****rs. No-one seems to make TPDT except for stompbox switches. It never occurred to me to search for QPDT - that's brilliant.
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Thanks guys for helping me out without knowing I needed help!
    Steve

13. Two birds in one stone, huh, Steve?!

14. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, that is exactly the function of the G&L L-2000 series/parallel switch. I also have a bass with Dimarzio Model Js, and I find that you can get some different/ useful sounds with one pickup in series and one in parallel (usually neck in parallel/ bridge in series)- but if you don't have a hole for the extra switch the 4pdt switch will work well for you (I love my G&L!).
    Karl

15. thanks, are you using a push/pull pot or a miniswitch for your series/parallel?

16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The G&Ls come with mini switches (I don't believe you can buy/ find a push-pull pot with a switch like these as it has 12 poles and wouldn't fit too well on the bottom of a pot), they are fairly easy to find as well- I've found decent deals for similar switches on Ebay before, as well as a couple of online guitar parts stores- just search for 4pdt on-on switches. Also if your pickups are full humbuckers like the G&Ls (each coil extends across all strings), you can get a 3-way 4pdt switch for series/ single coil/ parallel- thats a mod I did to my G&L, but it would be useless for Model Js.
    Karl

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021