Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series/Parallel Schematic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Ok, after reading the various threads on this subject (none of which seem to have a real schematic), here's the schematic I've made, combining a volume/volume/tone layout with the DPDT for series/parallel, using star grounding. The control cavity and pickup cavities will be copper foil shielded, so the bridge will be grounded to the shield, as will the control plate when screwed down. The pot casings and the output jack will be grounded by the plate.

All signal ground points will go to the output jack negative terminal, which is where signal and shield grounds meet.

For those who saw an earlier version, I was considering a volume/balance/tone circuit, but decided that the blend would be a pain with the series/parallel.

[​IMG]

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nice. I have a volume/balance with parallel/series switch and it's pretty much painless.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    How's that? From reading older posts, I came away with the impression that if you go to series, the blend pot has to be 100% on the neck or bridge pickup (depending on how you have it wired) or the volume will drop.

Here was the schematic I came up with for volume blend tone:

[​IMG]

Note that like Sadowsky, I have the bridge pickup fully clockwise on the blend control.

4. Jazz Ad

I used a 3PDT switch, not a push-pull. When I'm going series, the balance just does nothing.
    I once saw schematics of the same job done with only a DPDT though. I just need to find it back.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I can see how to do it with a 3PDT, but I don't want to deal with a separate switch. As there are no 3PDT push/pull pots (at least not in 250K or 500K values), I'll just stick with volume volume tone. But if you or anyone knows how to do it with a DPDT, I haven't ordered the parts yet.

In my V/V/T schematic, the neck volume pot controls the volume when everything is in series.

6. Jazz Ad

Ok I looked back. There are several schematics but you need a 3pdt with balance or it will act like a volume.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Merci.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks. Ill be using this tomorrow night when I have access to my guitarists soldering iron.

9. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for posting that schematic. I just bought a set of Bartolini 9J-4's and I'm going to install them myself. One point of clarification though, instead of separate black and white leads the Barts use a coaxial wire. So would the center wire equate to the white wire in the schematic?

A few months ago I had my local guitar shop install some DP123's and I wanted them to do the series/parallel mod and they used a DPDT at the neck pickup volume. What I've noticed is that as I turn up the volume on the bridge pick up the volume increases until its about 2/3 turned up, then it drops significantly as I continue to turn it up. What could be going on there?

Anyway I'm going to try your wiring when I install the Barts.

BTW, great schematic!

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I didnt have a chance to last night since we didnt have practice as planned but if I run into any soldering irons Ill have it done soon.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yup.

No clue, but that doesn't sound right.

Thanks!

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Lyle, I don't suppose you have a series/parallel/single coil three way switch schematic handy? I worked one up but I'd like to check it with a known good one before I break out the soldering utensils.

13. Jazz Ad

parallel/series/single coil switch doesn't make sense in this case. We're dealing with 2 single coil pickups, not a humbucker.

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Matt,
    I don't have one but shoot me yours and I'll check it for you. I know I saw one the other day at the Kent Armstrong site (or Allparts, don't remember).

15. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Great looking schematic! Nice work there Lyle.

Pete

16. what is that black thing between the 1/4'' jack and the tone pot?

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I did it!

The schematic was very easy to read but I still screwed up on the tone control so that part of it isnt working. I got confused since for whatever reason this passive bass has a stereo jack in it.

Anyways, I have a series parallel switch and Im happy. Ill redo the tone control next time I have acess to an iron.

18. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Lyle;

Forgive my ignorance, please. Is this series/parallel mod the same thing that Fender accomplishes with the S-1 switch? When in series, does this mean that the neck vol pot (like the Fender S-1) is the only one that works? Is the switch you used for the vol/vol/tone schematic a push-pull and if so, which knob is it? May I assume can get one at Radio Shack or do I need to go somewhere else? If I wanted to use a DPDT mini toggle where would it go? Rat Tat Tat asked what that black thing was between the tone pot and the jack. Is that the capacitor? Sorry for all the questions, but I know diddely about this stuff. Thanks.

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes
    Yes
    Standard 250K/500K volume pot with DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch
    Get from http://www.guitarelectronics.com , http://www.stewmac.com

20. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Do you know if anyone makes a concentric pot with a push/pull or push/push switch, all on one pot??