Series Parallel setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mescalitodude, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Mescalitodude

Mescalitodude Guest

Feb 10, 2005
    UK, Derby
    Probably been asked before, but...

I plan to switch to Dimarzio Model J pickups and with these i know they can be setup to be wired Series/Parallel.

Im now just trying to find a preamp or some electronics like Fender's S-1 switching system so I can change from Series to Parallel.

Any ideas?

2. Even better:

Check that link to find out how to wire them in series/parallel apart from eachother. So with 2 switches, then you will have more control of the things. :smug:

For the white and black wires; unscrew your pickup and find them tapered together underneath. For the pushpull pots, those things are less quality then the normal pots they sell. Buy a switch instead ;)
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I haven't found this to be the case at all; I've found the push/pull to be quite good, and it keeps you from needing to drill an additional hole....

BTW, your link isn't working (at least not without a Gmail password)....
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Email Sheldon Dingwall or PM here at username Sheldon D. He makes a 4-way switch, that does each pickup solo, or both in series, both in parallel. I bet he would sell you one fairy cheap, and the wiring wouldnt be that difficult. Sheldon, and Pete Skjold, maybe JP as well all use this circuit instead of blend pots.
  5. Sorry, I understood from Matt's post that he meant each individual pickup wired in series or parallel. If it's the other thing, any standard 4-way Tele switch will do, like this one: You can use this wiring diagram:
  6. Mescalitodude

Mescalitodude Guest

Feb 10, 2005
    UK, Derby
    Cheers for all the replies so far,

Ill most likely use push/pull pots as I dont want to do any permenant mods to my bass.

Either a:

Vol (with push/pull), blend, tone,

or perhaps:

Vol (with push/pull), Vol (with push/pull), tone. - is this possible?

Basically the short story is that I fitted a U-retro into my 1997 warwick corvette std (bubinga version) which already had EMG pickups - a super hi-fi setup if you will.
    But now i just find myself setting everything flat so Ive decided to explore the more natural sounds of my bass and im beginning to miss the growl from the MEC pickups.

So im either considering Dimarzio Model J's or these Bassline pickups which were used on a J bass made by "Organic guitars". Aint sure exactly what model the Basslines were though (Ive sent an enquiry but no reply still) but the bass it self sounded perfect for me with a real natural growly sound. Obviously not gonna achieve the same sound as this £1500 bass but it'll be interesting to hear what the Basslines do to mine.

Thanks again.