1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series/parallel switch is series/out of phase. Which wires to swap?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongomania, Apr 9, 2010.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I followed this diagram:

humbuck8.

...using the Seymour Duncan wiring because I've got an SD pup. I've triple-checked that my wiring matches the diagram. The series side is perfect (at least it sounds right to me) but the parallel side is out of phase. Which wires should I swap to correct that?

Thx!

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Are you positive the wire colors are correct between guitar/ bass and such? Otherwise, it might be the switch.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'd try swapping the black and white wires on the SD diagram (which are hot and ground for one of the coils, assuming the color coding is right). I don't think you can be in phase on the series side and out of phase on the parallel side with that diagram, but out of phase might not be nearly so obvious in series mode.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you have two single coil pickups, each with two leads, only two leads should go to the switch.

One original hot (+) on one pickup stays where it was; one original ground (on the other pickup) stays where it was.

One position of the switch allows for connecting the hot from the pickup with the original ground connection to the ground from the pickup with the original hot connection. The other switch position runs the leads back where they used to go.

This assumes no metal covers or ground/baseplates are involved.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    This is one dual-coil pickup with four wires.

6. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    SD wiring according to Stew Mac HERE

Just scroll down a little to see the Series/Parallel

7. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    And HERE According to SD's Website.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Cool, S3T, that method seems to have improved matters, thanks! The problem is now solved--it turns out the parallel mode wasn't out of phase after all, it was just especially weedy sounding "normally" when in parallel. When I flipped the phase, the signal almost disappeared! The diagram shown there on the Duncan and Stewmac pages seems to work better than the one I posted originally; there's a slight hiss which was much more noticeable in the first case. So now basically I have learned that this particular pickup sounds kinda poor when run in parallel. Although when I play with a pick, it has a very cool jangly baritone-guitar sound, so maybe that will come in handy sometime. It's the SD Rickenbacker replacement bridge pup, FWIW. Thanks for everybody's input!

9. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Glad it helped. I always use the StewMac Color diagrams...hasn't failed me yet.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I tried my one of those in parallel too, once, to even out the volume with the much quieter neck pickup..... quickly undone it and raised up the neck pickups height as much as it'd go and not sound as muddy as hell when played up high.

Really don't work in parallel, I was suprised, since its such a loud agressive pickup in series.

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It really is a remarkable difference, between series and parallel, with this pup. Of course there's always some difference in output with any series/parallel comparison, but it's like night and day in this case.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Indeed, I was planning on an output drop, but this was ridiculous.