1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series/parallel switch on active jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by arginator, Aug 15, 2011.

1. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Sorry if this has been covered, but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a mim Fender jazz deluxe V, with the stock preamp. Can I wire this for series/parallel, or can that only be done on passive basses?

2. Sure.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The Fender JDV has passive pickups, so yes, you can mod it with a series/parallel switch before feeding the resultant signal into the preamp.

4. skyline_01

skyline_01 Jeremy Nichols, Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Reviving thread...

I also have a Jazz Deluxe V (MIM) and would like to explore a series/parallel mod but still haven't found the exact answer I need. Based on the diagram below, is it as simple as connecting the leads to the middle lugs of my blend pot instead of the 2 volume knobs of a passive Jazz? if not, can you give me the "wiring for dummies" version of how I might go about it?
    Note: I still have the stock 3-band pre with the PCB mounted on the volume knob (if that matters). Thanks!

84d54debeb244ddb3e1ba8666ee40ae3.jpg

5. Quoting myself from another thread:

Series/parallel switching with a blend pot can be accomplished in three ways.

1. You can use standard series/parallel switching with a DPDT On/On switch. This is the simplest option, but the caveat is that the blend pot is going to behave like a volume pot, when you go into series mode. This is very inconvenient, because the volume is going to drop, if you don't set the blend properly before switching.

2. By using a 3PDT On/On switch, you can bypass the blend pot when you go into series mode. This method works well, but it is a bit more complicated, and limits your switch choices. If you wanted to use a push/pull pot, you won't be able to do it with this option.

3. If you opt for an M/N taper blend pot, with an "ungrounded" wiring scheme, then you may use a modified DPDT On/On based switching scheme to bypass the blend pot in series mode. This is very simple, and works well. The downside is that you cannot completely solo either pickup. Most people say that this is not an issue, however, as the volume of one pickup is low enough to be drowned out by the other pickup.

6. skyline_01

skyline_01 Jeremy Nichols, Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    ^^ very helpful, thank you!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020