Series/Parallel Switch or Pan Knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jonro, Sep 12, 2020.

1. jonro

jonro

Jun 26, 2011
    I'm planning to order a bass with double P pickups. I can configure it either wan a pan knob or a 4-way switch (bridge only - b&n parallel - neck only - b&n series). The 4-way switch would give me some good options, but the pan knob would allow me to blend the two pickups 80/20 or something like that. The switch would automatically be 50/50 with both bridge and neck in parallel.

Which is the better option? The switch allows me to configure them as parallel or series, but the knob allows me to blend the two pickups any way I want.

2. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Use stack knob volumes so you can blend them and a series / parallel switch & you can have it all.

3. Brent's Groove

Brent's Groove

Mar 14, 2007
    Virginia
    I would go for the pan pot. Two P pickups in series would be too muddy for me. And the other three switch positions would be accessible with the pan pot, plus you'd get the "in between" tones.

EDIT: Series/parallel for each individual P pickup would be cool though. With both pickups permanently wired together in parallel.

4. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I have P/reverse P with 4 way switch and it is my favorite bass.
    It has 4 useful sounds with just one switch.
    If it might get too muddy in series I put extra HPF but I rarely use it.
    IMG_20200504_085915.jpg

5. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Mine has been changed from the picture below. The bridge pickup is now reversed and I have two stack knob pots in the bass.

In the pic below, the stack knob is volume-neck on top & volume-bridge on bottom. The chicken head knob was a six position rotary tone (open, & then five caps with increasing values).

When I reversed the bridge pup, I added a second concentric pot with two different cap values on the outside terminals of bottom pot, and a path to ground from the center terminal of the bottom pot wired through the top pot.

25D721E3-60B6-4D5B-BDF7-A1AE816A5E9E.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Volume for the neck.
    Volume for the bridge.
    Master tone.
    Series/Parallel switch.

That would give you every conceivable pickup volume combination AND the series/parallel option.

7. jonro

jonro

Jun 26, 2011
    Update. I ordered a Bite Punch with a double P configuration, a 4-way switch for Bridge, Parallel, Neck and Series, and a tone knob. It just arrived today, so this is NBD, too. It sounds great, looks great, feels great, and the build quality is excellent. I decided against the additional pan knob because I wanted to keep things simple, and I didn't think I would really get much use out of the pan. I haven't had time to do a real comparison of the different switch settings, but I don't hear much of a difference between Neck and Parallel. It does not give the tonal variation of a PJ bass, but it does sound a little "fuller" with the second P pickup. It's a passive bass and I'm probably going to play it as a pure P most of the time. I appreciate everyone's advice; I'm very happy with my choice.
    Bite_Bass_Large.jpeg

dkelley and TomB like this.