1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

series/parallel switches on bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by biggs1249, Sep 23, 2008.

1. whats all that about? what advantages are there?

2. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    isnt that like S1?

if so it makes p pups sound like j's and vice versa.....or i may be full of poo

3. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Yes its a s1 switch on a Jazz like a P on a P a waste of time I have tried it

4. I have a series/parallel switch (push/pull Vol knob) on my Hohner B bass V:

P6050090.

It puts the two single-coil pups in series with each other and only the Vol nearest the neck is necessary. The tone becomes more middy with less in the way of tops, and there's a reasonable boost in gain.

Not exactly the same as a P, but very useable.

5. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I have a parallel and series switch on my Skjold. In parallel it sounds and performs more like a J bass. In series it sounds like the individual pickups are one big humbucker. The gain is significantly increased. When playing with my 11 piece band with horns, I always use the series setting because it cuts better. When playing slap or in a smooth jazz setting I use the parallel setting.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Whether it's "useful" or not depends on one's needs and tastes. Most multiple PUP basses have the PUPs wired in parallel. But the individual coils on certain PUPs are often wired in series. The two coils of a typical Precsion Bass pick up are wired in series. Putting them in parallel thins out the mids some and approximates the sound of a Jazz bass with both PUPs on. But only slightly. Putting the two pickups of a Jazz bass into series from their normal parallel does fatten it up abit, but only works if both PUPs are on exactly the same amount...

At one time my fretless (it's a P/J set up) had the P PUP wired to a series/parallel switch. That was pretty useful for blending the two PUPs. The P PUP fit in better with the J PUP when I put the P in paralle. But it was sublte enough that when I changed it from passive to active, I did away with the S/P switching. I seldom use both PUP at the same time anyway on that bass.

jte

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm not sure what situation you are in, but if you are using a standard passive jazz, and want more tonal variation, I can see almost no reason not too (see my one reason below).

If you do it yourself, it's a simple case of buying a 13 dollar push/pull pot or 5 dollar switch, and wiring it up. The push pull pot is preferred so you don't have to permenantly mod anything.

It gives you a new pickup configuration with a new set of tones available at the flick of a switch, and who doesn't want that?

1 reason not to. Schematics are out there, but I can't read schematics and I haven't been able to find a pictorial wiring diagram for this. I had a heck of a time following even the very well written instructions that I was provided with here on Talkbass. The results were worth it though.

8. Schematics for this have been posted here several times - this is where I got the diagram which I followed.

I used the 'Search' function to find it.

9. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Hey Geoff,
    Are you talking about an electrical schematic (which many like myself can't read) or a pictorial diagram? If you're speaking about a pictorial diagram, could you repeat the search you used, and let us know where it is located? I searched again, and the thread where I thought I had seen it last (a thread I started) has expired pictures. I have had to rewire my jazz essentially from scratch, and this time I'd like to use a diagram rather than written instructions if possible.
    Much appreciated.

10. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks! That is Super! SD was the first place I checked a year or so ago when I first did this, and they didn't have them then. I see they are dated 2008, so it appears they are a new (and much needed) addition. I just printed one out!

Slightly off topic... They also have a great, easy to read, Les Paul diagram for 2 p90's v/v/t/t/3way that I used to wire up my darkstarred T-40.

11. This is the one I used, except I used a push/pull pot::

j_series.