1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

series/parallel w/3 way switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fender_mod, May 4, 2006.

1. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    okay so my next electronics upgrade will feature my 3 pup pbass with a seies/parallel switch in addition to a 3 way on/off/on selector switch, already installed w/no problems, to select between having the neck on, bridge on, or neither on. the traditional p pup will always be on and is not affected by the switch. now i want to add a series/parallel switch to choose between the middle pup being in series/parallel with whatever pup i have selected on. ive done some searching and put together a diagram to show how i think this can be done.

my concerns are:
    1. will it work?
    2. will my middle pbass pup be affected if i dont have either the neck/bridge pups on
    3. will the middle pup's volume pot control the output for both pups when in series?

after what ive read i think it should work and as far as point 3 goes i dont have a problem with that. the main concern is keeping the middle pup problem free. after all, this thing started out as a p bass and i want to be able to keep that tone, hence my current selector switch can cut either of the other 2 pups if i want.

ps. the pots are going to be stacked cocentric w/ tone. i dont think this should change anything just left it out in the diagram for sake of simplicity.

2. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    One thing .... If you are doing Series/Parallel then you just want a DPDT, that is two position, ON/ON ....
    If you are doing Series/Parallel/Split then the switch you need for this is a ON/ON/ON ....not a ON/OFF/ON...
    Here is where you can get one:
    http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/SWM23

Best Regards
    Chris

3. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    The way it looks to me, when switched to series, either the bridge or neck vol. is the master. If the 3-way switch is off, there's no sound.

4. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    the pup selector switch is on/off/on and i have that installed, the series/parallel is just on/on.

i figured i would ther would be issues with only the neck pup on, dunno if i can sort that out.