Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Series/Parallel with Nordstrand MM4.2..?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Feb 4, 2005.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I tried searching for this, but was unable to turn up any results for a series/parallel mod on an MM pickup.

My intent (if possible) is to wire in a series/parallel switch on my Flea bass, which I've equipped with a Nordstrand MM4.2. I'm basiaclly going for a Sterling setup without the single coil option.

The pickup has already been given an active/passive switch to bypass the Bartolini NTBT onboard preamp if that makes any difference.

Is this a possible modification? If so, can anyone point me towards a wiring schematic for this (I've found them for J-Basses, but none for single MM basses)? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
    :help:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, it's possible. The wiring schematic ships with the pickup, telling you how to wire it series or parallel.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Right, but it didn't (at least mine didn't, or I just missed it) talk about being able to switch between the two, it just explained how to hard wire in either parallel, OR series.

You'll have to forgive me, this is the first time I've ventured into this sort of thing, so its pretty unfamiliar to me.

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    You will need a DPDT switch. I can draw something up when I get home if no one replies with an answer before hand.

5. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Look here at the series parallel switch instructions.
    My wire coding is the same so this setup will work.
    Please be aware though that there will be more output in series mode (my favorite).

6. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^Fantastic, thanks Carey.

Sorry if I seemed overly ignorant about this topic everyone. I'm trying to get the most tonal versatility out of this bass and I think this will be the finishing touch.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no problem. it's well worth doing, and it's a great sounding pickup too.