series/ parallel ,, ?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tyburn, Nov 16, 2000.

1. i've got the dimarzio pu's on order and they will be here next week , i'll get a bass tech i go to to fit them cos i want him to look at my setup,, anyway the reason for the post was to ask a question,, it says that u can add a mini switch to the ultra jazz pickups , thus giving series/parallel, but what exactly doe sthis do to the sound??

is it worth fitting the switch,, and will it have any effect of the soung in general??

2. biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    Series will give you more low mids with less lows and highs. This sounds thick.

Parallel will give you a flatter, more extended frequency response with more extreme lows and highs. This will sound clearer but not as fat.

Personally, I think it is worth getting the switch installed because it gives you more tones to work with.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The series/parallel option is extremely useful if you switch a lot between fingerstyle and slap playing; series favors the former, parallel the latter. If you want to sample instruments that already have this option and what this does to the sound, check out the Fender Roscoe Beck, Pedulla single-pickup Rapture and G&L (any model).
  4. Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    Is it possible to do series/parallel on a single p-bass PU by using a push/pull knob? I'f so, how should it be done?
  5. It would be possible, but not advantageous. P pups are in series in their standard form, and this is the fat sound of a P bass. If you ran them in p/llel you would end up with a thinner sound.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    DiMarzio Model P pickups can be wired this way. Many players don't install the switch hwen upgrading, but some basses that came with them as original equipment (many old BC Rich and Kramer basses) had the switch.