Series sound like chorus?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I've recently had my JSII wired for series/parallel using the mini toggle since I never liked the stock coil tap. Sound great, but at lower volume, in series mode, it almost sounds like its bring processed by reverb or chorus. Is this normal? I had a G&L ASAT with a similar setup and it never gave me this sound, only the bass boost that comes with single coils in series. Pics and possibly sound clips to come..

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I'm not sure what a JSII is...

How close are the pickups to the strings? With some pickups, especially Fender style pickups with rod magnets, having them too close to the strings can cause a warbling chorus like effect.

3. Here's the bass in question..

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/...-alembicized-custom-brass-harp-bridge-812558/

I guess the strings are a bit close, I raised the magnets when I raised the action to balance the out put between bridge and neck coils.

My G&L has much lower action with no warbler, but yes, that warbler is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not from magnetic interference or mismatched polarity, anything like that?

4. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's a nice bass.

No, it's from the magnets pulling on the strings. Then they become sort of like a fulcrum and produce a off pitch harmonic node. I used to actually liked it when my P bass did it. That was before chorus pedals, so I thought it was kind of cool.

I notice that the DarkStars are sitting on a black plastic surround. If you remove that and mount them directly to the wood you can get the pickups lower. Then you can bring the poles up if you need to. I think that should help.

5. Thanks for the compliment and the advice.. I'll try it out when I get home. The neck was great but the magnets were a bit low on the bridge pup and as a result also had much lower output. I'll stop worrying and just focus on setting it up properly.

6. I raised the action a scotch (it was lower than my other JS, which is right where I like it), and let the magnets down into the pickup housing so they're flush with the black surface, it helped a bit but there's still some warble. I'll have to continue experimenting. Thanks for the advice.

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Don't be concerned if you need to pull the pole pieces all the way down (below flush with the pickup face) to get your sound. Dark Stars were built to allow for that. I've had a couple of DS'd basses and magnet distance to the strings matters more than you think. I can't say I've ever encountered anything I'd describe as a warble, but getting the set up right can only help you.

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The poles are not actually magnets. They are steel rods. The magnets are under the pickup touching a laminated "keeper" bar" which the poles slide through. So when you move the poles, the magnets don't move.

This is one reason it would be better to remove the black plastic spacers from under the pickups, and screw them right to the body. This will move the magnets farther from the strings. Then you can raise the pole pieces if you need. It sounds like the same thing, but isn't.

The plastic spacers were to raise the pickups, but you don't need them higher since they are really close to the strings.

9. Got it! Thanks for the clarification!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021